3/4 of Americans favor raising smoking age to 21

Do you support raising smoking age to 21?

I support it
38%
No way, it's useless
63%

Total votes : 8

Re: 3/4 of Americans favor raising smoking age to 21

Postby exploited » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:11 pm

Medius wrote:
exploited wrote:
Medius wrote:
exploited wrote:
Medius wrote:Everything should be 18. Period.

Ok, I should amend. Everything should be the same age. Period. I'm not a fan of "partial" citizenship, which is what this creates.

I'd be fine with that, but considering the childhood most people have, might be good for it to stay younger. We already have kids emancipating themselves at 16 to get out of terrible homes.

(By the way, I know what you are doing and am going to make it as uncomfortable as possible. I'll see you in hell Exploited. In. Hell.)

I happen to agree that we should set a definitive age for when a person is an adult. However, I think making that decision the fair way - using some sort of rational, scientific measure - would result in us deciding that humans are literally retarded until an age well past when it would be annoying. I mean, let's be honest - most eighteen year olds really do not have the life experience to make a proper decision about joining the military or buying a house or spending thousands on his/her credit card. Probably your average 18 year old is about as good at life as your average 10 year old from the 1700s. Very little financial literacy, very little exposure to professional responsibilities, inconclusive brain development re: risk assessment, a propensity for a whole range of social incompetencies...

Having rejected the desirability of rationality, I propose that everyone are adults when they are 13. That way I could have moved out when my mom turned off MarioKart64 without me having an opportunity to save beating the ghost on Mario Raceway X(
exploited
Vice President

Postby Medius » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:24 pm

exploited wrote:I happen to agree that we should set a definitive age for when a person is an adult. However, I think making that decision the fair way - using some sort of rational, scientific measure - would result in us deciding that humans are literally retarded until an age well past when it would be annoying. I mean, let's be honest - most eighteen year olds really do not have the life experience to make a proper decision about joining the military or buying a house or spending thousands on his/her credit card. Probably your average 18 year old is about as good at life as your average 10 year old from the 1700s. Very little financial literacy, very little exposure to professional responsibilities, inconclusive brain development re: risk assessment, a propensity for a whole range of social incompetencies...

Having rejected the desirability of rationality, I propose that everyone are adults when they are 13. That way I could have moved out when my mom turned off MarioKart64 without me having an opportunity to save beating the ghost on Mario Raceway X(

Definitely not the scientific route. Childhood wouldn't end until 30. I think if you put the expectation of responsibility on people, they will adapt.

And while I feel for the tragedy of your abusive childhood, do you think you would have been better off having fended for yourself at age 13? Or do you think it would have limited your ability to expand your education and find a better quality of life starting out?
Medius
Governor

Political Leaning: Middle of the Road

Postby exploited » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:11 pm

Medius wrote:
exploited wrote:I happen to agree that we should set a definitive age for when a person is an adult. However, I think making that decision the fair way - using some sort of rational, scientific measure - would result in us deciding that humans are literally retarded until an age well past when it would be annoying. I mean, let's be honest - most eighteen year olds really do not have the life experience to make a proper decision about joining the military or buying a house or spending thousands on his/her credit card. Probably your average 18 year old is about as good at life as your average 10 year old from the 1700s. Very little financial literacy, very little exposure to professional responsibilities, inconclusive brain development re: risk assessment, a propensity for a whole range of social incompetencies...

Definitely not the scientific route. Childhood wouldn't end until 30. I think if you put the expectation of responsibility on people, they will adapt.

And while I feel for the tragedy of your abusive childhood, do you think you would have been better off having fended for yourself at age 13? Or do you think it would have limited your ability to expand your education and find a better quality of life starting out?

Would have been no big thing. I was already a proficient cucumber farmer at that age. Would be no problem for me to find a plot of land and grow some cukes and just chill and shit.
exploited
Vice President

Postby NAB » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:34 pm

exploited wrote:
Medius wrote:

Would have been no big thing. I was already a proficient cucumber farmer at that age. Would be no problem for me to find a plot of land and grow some cukes and just chill and shit.

I suspect cucumber farmer is a euphemism for something, but I'll take your comment at face value for now.
Welcome to our speak board web page

These users thanked the author NAB for the post:
Medius
NAB
Governor

Postby spacemonkey » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:21 am

People mature at different ages, some sooner, others later. And others seem to never mature.
The hardest part of doing nothing is knowing when your done.
spacemonkey
Governor

Previous

Return to Society