It's June, 2015, and the sky has not fallen

It's June, 2015, and the sky has not fallen

Postby John Galt » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:26 am

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/scott-whit ... hange-june

hilarious

the video is in it.

abc in 2008 predicted $9/g gas, $13/"carton" milk, and new york city to be under water from rising seas. and they predicted this would be in 2015.

and by "they" i mean they were publishing the predictions of climate-change activists

New York City underwater? Gas over $9 a gallon? A carton of milk costs almost $13? Welcome to June 12, 2015. Or at least that was the wildly-inaccurate version of 2015 predicted by ABC News exactly seven years ago. Appearing on Good Morning America in 2008, Bob Woodruff hyped Earth 2100, a special that pushed apocalyptic predictions of the then-futuristic 2015. The segment included supposedly prophetic videos, such as a teenager declaring, "It's June 8th, 2015. One carton of milk is $12.99." (On the actual June 8, 2015, a gallon of milk cost, on average, $3.39.) Another clip featured this prediction for the current year: "Gas reached over $9 a gallon." (In reality, gas costs an average of $2.75.)
Americans learn only from catastrophe and not from experience. -- Theodore Roosevelt
John Galt
Technical Admin

Political Leaning: Classic Liberal

Re: It's June, 2015, and the sky has not fallen

Postby Dylan » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:31 am

hysterics like this don't further the debate and just provide fodder for deniers. frustrating.

These users thanked the author Dylan for the post:
eynon81
Dylan
Vice President

Political Leaning: Middle of the Road

Postby eynon81 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:49 am

meanwhile Colorado and Texas and that state in between are having our wettest Springs......EVER.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/weather/sto ... as-n374111

but yes the climate-change hyperbole is so painful. also the fact that it's led to other important enviornmental issues getting ignored causes me physical pain.

These users thanked the author eynon81 for the post:
Medius
eynon81
VIP
VIP

Political Leaning: Very Conservative

Postby jimmyz » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:25 am

Every one of the loony lefts environmental call to arms will be proven false. Check the 800,000 years ago ice core data Dylan. I'd expect that the global warming come global climate change folks will have to invent global climate stagnation at some point to garner more grant money to keep the scheme rolling.
" I'm old-fashioned. I like two sexes! And another thing. All of a sudden I don't like being married to what is known as a 'new woman.' I want a wife, not a competitor! Competitor! Competitor!" - Spencer Tracy in 'Adam's Rib' (1949)
jimmyz
Governor

Political Leaning: Conservative

Postby eynon81 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:27 am

jimmyz wrote:Every one of the loony lefts environmental call to arms will be proven false. Check the 800,000 years ago ice core data Dylan. I'd expect that the global warming come global climate change folks will have to invent global climate stagnation at some point to garner more grant money to keep the scheme rolling.

meanwhile the oceans are getting completely f**k by pollution and over-fising.

this is why Non is a conservationist, not an enviromentalist.
eynon81
VIP
VIP

Postby jimmyz » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:00 pm

eynon81 wrote:
jimmyz wrote:Every one of the loony lefts environmental call to arms will be proven false. Check the 800,000 years ago ice core data Dylan. I'd expect that the global warming come global climate change folks will have to invent global climate stagnation at some point to garner more grant money to keep the scheme rolling.

I've invented an automated ocean sweeper that is solar powered and guided by satellite com-link. Each one scoops up trash in the ocean's debris field to a depth of 1 meter. It will take one hundred of these machines 10 years to do it at a cost of $123,000.00 per machine.

The over-fishing? Tell the Asians to eat more chicken.
" I'm old-fashioned. I like two sexes! And another thing. All of a sudden I don't like being married to what is known as a 'new woman.' I want a wife, not a competitor! Competitor! Competitor!" - Spencer Tracy in 'Adam's Rib' (1949)
jimmyz
Governor

Political Leaning: Conservative

Postby eynon81 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:12 pm

jimmyz wrote:
eynon81 wrote:

I've invented an automated ocean sweeper that is solar powered and guided by satellite com-link. Each one scoops up trash in the ocean's debris field to a depth of 1 meter. It will take one hundred of these machines 10 years to do it at a cost of $123,000.00 per machine.

sounds good.

now....the nitrite induced dead zones.
eynon81
VIP
VIP

Postby Dylan » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:39 pm

I don't agree. Many, many significant groups with significant funding and a mandate to study the issue have reached contrary conclusions. I don't find it plausible that money has co-opted all of them. Although if you accept this possibility, you must accept the possibility that the sources you rely on have also been co-opted by their benefactors.

Neither you nor I has the education to fully assess the matter on our own. I won't try to because I simply don't have the skill set to properly assess it (and neither do you).
Dylan
Vice President

Political Leaning: Middle of the Road

Postby John Galt » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:52 pm

eynon81 wrote:meanwhile Colorado and Texas and that state in between are having our wettest Springs......EVER.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/weather/sto ... as-n374111

but yes the climate-change hyperbole is so painful. also the fact that it's led to other important enviornmental issues getting ignored causes me physical pain.

thank you

tbh, carbon dioxide in the air i do think can be a problem. but the problem is ocean acidification. the science here is sound. basically there will come a point where if the pH value continues to decrease it will be difficult for marine life to make shells correctly and the cascade of problems resulting from that could be dire. then again since the industrial revolution we've decreased the pH by 0.1 and nature has done far worse millions of years ago to the oceans, so...... it's not a hugely pressing matter but it is something to be mindful of. in terms of reasons to limit CO2 this would be the most important (however, studies also show it increases plant growth so.....)

well speaking of oceans, a for sure real problem includes the giant patch of garbage (by giant patch it's a bunch of tiny specs of plastic over vast distances, which is by no means good and is hard to clean up, versus a massive pile of garbage). i saw a great solution, of stationary nets that just take currents into them to get the trash. i think we're making progress there. it's a real problem that we need international help on because it takes place in the middle of the ocean

and while these are talked about to some extent, and there is work being done on them, the green movement has been usurped by people like al gore looking to make a buck off of the alarmism
Americans learn only from catastrophe and not from experience. -- Theodore Roosevelt

These users thanked the author John Galt for the post:
eynon81
John Galt
Technical Admin

Postby John Galt » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:54 pm

eynon81 wrote:
jimmyz wrote:
eynon81 wrote:

sounds good.

now....the nitrite induced dead zones.

i feel like GMO crops are the solution there

These users thanked the author John Galt for the post:
eynon81
John Galt
Technical Admin

Next

Return to Society