It's June, 2015, and the sky has not fallen

Re: It's June, 2015, and the sky has not fallen

Postby jimmyz » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:55 pm

eric wrote:
jimmyz wrote:
spacemonkey wrote:Global climate change happens on its own, no matter what we do / don't do. However, man can and has affected micro climates around cities. Usually from coal burning coupled with temperature inversions.

Coal fired plants should be outlawed. In China first. Nuclear power should be used everywhere. But the coal lobby, cost of nuclear plants, and the eco-terrorists hype. So stalemate.

Well, in terms of the planet yeah I definitely want them gone, especially in China. But I don't think that we in the U.S. need to wait for China to do something before we do something, don't you? I'd rather be the leader and make sure our country is good to go.

Google Dan River coal dust incident. The power company has torn down three if its coal plants and gone to gas. Unfortunately they killed a river in the process...accidentally
" I'm old-fashioned. I like two sexes! And another thing. All of a sudden I don't like being married to what is known as a 'new woman.' I want a wife, not a competitor! Competitor! Competitor!" - Spencer Tracy in 'Adam's Rib' (1949)
jimmyz
Banned
Banned

Political Leaning: Conservative

Postby Saz » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:05 pm

In 1927, an oil well was spudded at Baba Gurgur by the Turkish Petroleum Company (the forerunner of the Iraq Petroleum Company). At 3 a.m. on October 15, 1927, oil was struck and a great fountain spurted over the crown of the derrick to a height of 42 metres. It soon became clear the company had a major environmental crisis on its hands. The oil well was situated in a depression known as Wadi Naft that carried water off the low foothills, and crude oil was escaping down to the open desert. The spraying oil also threatened the local inhabitants, whose adjacent properties stood in danger of being destroyed, and there was risk of polluting the water supply.

Kirkuk, and the surrounding villages, were in danger of being drowned in a deluge of oil. Being unable to stop the flow immediately, the problem for the Company was how to contain it. Eventually it was decided to commence building dams in the wadi at distances of about 1.5 kilometres apart. A piece of low ground was selected about 24 kilometres away from the well, which could be easily dammed up to hold several weeks of oil production. It was estimated that 2,000 men would be required for the dam's construction. Men from the Jubur tribe along the Zab river, and the Obaid tribe on the Hawija plain were soon converging on Kirkuk. A few lucky men rode in vehicles, but most walked, in some cases distances up to 60 kilometres.

A blue mist formed at night in the hollows of the low hills caused by gas pockets. One night the poisonous effects of gas collecting in a depression killed two drillers and three Iraqi workers. The risk of fire was ever-present as for hundreds of metres around everything was smothered in oil. Men were working in gas masks almost naked in an endeavour to get near enough to set up some control appliances. The oil fell evenly in clouds all around the derrick and draw-works due to the windless autumn days. At length the cloud of oil was blown away from the derrick to allow work to start on the well head. This was achieved by setting up an aero engine which, when started, created the necessary draft to clear one side of the derrick.

It took ten days from the first eruption to close the control valve and shut off the supply of oil. By the time the well was capped, over 95,000 barrels of oil a day had spewed into the desert. But the approaching rainy season raised the spectre of another disaster: if the rains came and the wadi flooded, the oil would be carried down to the river and pollute water supplies across the whole country. Pumps were urgently installed to pump the oil back into the wells, but they made little impression. Desperate to remove the oil, large quantities were set alight. When the rains came the area was clear of oil. Work on clearing up the area was completed by Christmas Day 1927.

Environmental Conservation: Iraqi Style
Ceterum autem censeo Dylan esse delendam
Saz
Governor

Political Leaning: Classic Liberal

Postby eric » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:44 pm

jimmyz wrote:
eric wrote:
jimmyz wrote:
spacemonkey wrote:Global climate change happens on its own, no matter what we do / don't do. However, man can and has affected micro climates around cities. Usually from coal burning coupled with temperature inversions.

Coal fired plants should be outlawed. In China first. Nuclear power should be used everywhere. But the coal lobby, cost of nuclear plants, and the eco-terrorists hype. So stalemate.

Well, in terms of the planet yeah I definitely want them gone, especially in China. But I don't think that we in the U.S. need to wait for China to do something before we do something, don't you? I'd rather be the leader and make sure our country is good to go.

Google Dan River coal dust incident. The power company has torn down three if its coal plants and gone to gas. Unfortunately they killed a river in the process...accidentally

Yeah that's stupid. Company should have been fined and mandated to clean up the accident.

But aside from another tragic environmental problem I'm not genuinely not sure why you responded to my post with that? I'm just trying to understand if you were trying to make a point that went over my head or what.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."
eric
Governor

Postby Medius » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:01 pm

The over-hype of global warming has done far more harm to environmentalism than any good. It has detracted dollars, efforts, and created a false dividing line, pushing people who would otherwise support conservationism to the opposite camp.

Add with this, the more hard-core stances on environmentalism (basically, have zero impact on the environment, which is only possible with the extinction of the human race) and you create a situation were very little moves forward. And the power companies celebrate.
Medius
Governor

Political Leaning: Middle of the Road

Postby jimmyz » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:25 pm

eric wrote:
jimmyz wrote:
eric wrote:
jimmyz wrote:

Yeah that's stupid. Company should have been fined and mandated to clean up the accident.

But aside from another tragic environmental problem I'm not genuinely not sure why you responded to my post with that? I'm just trying to understand if you were trying to make a point that went over my head or what.

The point is that US coal plants have been shut down. I see it as a trend as we produce more and more natural gas. The company was ultimately fined 100 mil.
" I'm old-fashioned. I like two sexes! And another thing. All of a sudden I don't like being married to what is known as a 'new woman.' I want a wife, not a competitor! Competitor! Competitor!" - Spencer Tracy in 'Adam's Rib' (1949)
jimmyz
Banned
Banned

Postby eric » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:49 pm

Medius wrote:The over-hype of global warming has done far more harm to environmentalism than any good. It has detracted dollars, efforts, and created a false dividing line, pushing people who would otherwise support conservationism to the opposite camp.

Add with this, the more hard-core stances on environmentalism (basically, have zero impact on the environment, which is only possible with the extinction of the human race) and you create a situation were very little moves forward. And the power companies celebrate.

It's likely that dollars have been detracted, but there's nobody to blame on this front except people who claim that global climate change isn't happening and that we aren't doing anything to exacerbate the problem.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."
eric
Governor

Postby eric » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:51 pm

jimmyz wrote:
The point is that US coal plants have been shut down. I see it as a trend as we produce more and more natural gas. The company was ultimately fined 100 mil.

I didn't read the entire article so I didn't see the fine. And yes, some coal plants have been shut down. We should continue doing that and removing ourselves from oil as best as we can too.
eric
Governor

Postby Kane » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:20 pm

John Galt wrote:http://newsbusters.org/blogs/scott-whitlock/2015/06/12/flashback-abcs-08-prediction-nyc-under-water-climate-change-june

hilarious

the video is in it.

abc in 2008 predicted $9/g gas, $13/"carton" milk, and new york city to be under water from rising seas. and they predicted this would be in 2015.

and by "they" i mean they were publishing the predictions of climate-change activists

New York City underwater? Gas over $9 a gallon? A carton of milk costs almost $13? Welcome to June 12, 2015. Or at least that was the wildly-inaccurate version of 2015 predicted by ABC News exactly seven years ago. Appearing on Good Morning America in 2008, Bob Woodruff hyped Earth 2100, a special that pushed apocalyptic predictions of the then-futuristic 2015. The segment included supposedly prophetic videos, such as a teenager declaring, "It's June 8th, 2015. One carton of milk is $12.99." (On the actual June 8, 2015, a gallon of milk cost, on average, $3.39.) Another clip featured this prediction for the current year: "Gas reached over $9 a gallon." (In reality, gas costs an average of $2.75.)

ABC News: known for its hard hitting news segments.

I know of no other news agency with a higher reputation than this daily outfit. Their investigative journalism is at the pinnacle of all integrity and their slamming indictments of mountain lions as well as bears roaming bay area suburbs as harsh as they can possibly come.

When I watch ABC news, I'm not watching the news. I'm watching perfection.
Stephen Jay Gould wrote:When people learn no tools of judgment and merely follow their hopes, the seeds of political manipulation are sown.

These users thanked the author Kane for the post:
Dylan
Kane
Governor

Political Leaning: Rockefeller Republican

Postby jimmyz » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:32 pm

Kane wrote:
John Galt wrote:http://newsbusters.org/blogs/scott-whitlock/2015/06/12/flashback-abcs-08-prediction-nyc-under-water-climate-change-june

hilarious

the video is in it.

abc in 2008 predicted $9/g gas, $13/"carton" milk, and new york city to be under water from rising seas. and they predicted this would be in 2015.

and by "they" i mean they were publishing the predictions of climate-change activists

New York City underwater? Gas over $9 a gallon? A carton of milk costs almost $13? Welcome to June 12, 2015. Or at least that was the wildly-inaccurate version of 2015 predicted by ABC News exactly seven years ago. Appearing on Good Morning America in 2008, Bob Woodruff hyped Earth 2100, a special that pushed apocalyptic predictions of the then-futuristic 2015. The segment included supposedly prophetic videos, such as a teenager declaring, "It's June 8th, 2015. One carton of milk is $12.99." (On the actual June 8, 2015, a gallon of milk cost, on average, $3.39.) Another clip featured this prediction for the current year: "Gas reached over $9 a gallon." (In reality, gas costs an average of $2.75.)

ABC News: known for its hard hitting news segments.

I know of no other news agency with a higher reputation than this daily outfit. Their investigative journalism is at the pinnacle of all integrity and their slamming indictments of mountain lions as well as bears roaming bay area suburbs as harsh as they can possibly come.

When I watch ABC news, I'm not watching the news. I'm watching perfection.

Gulp gurgle help!!...I'm treading water here in Foster City. Throw me a lifesaver Kane quick!
jimmyz
Banned
Banned

Previous

Return to Society