[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 130: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4829: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4831: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4832: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4833: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
A Well Written Suicide Note • Society • Political Crossfire Forums

A Well Written Suicide Note

A Well Written Suicide Note

Postby Spider » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:39 am

Spider
VIP
VIP

Political Leaning: Anarcho Communist

Re: A Well Written Suicide Note

Postby Professor » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:56 am

Tragic.

As a parent of 2 kids (boy and girl), I've naturally thought about what would happen if one of them turns out to be gay, bi, trans, etc. "Society" tells me that I should feel better about it if it were my daughter being one of those things, but I should be more upset if it were my boy.

I simply don't feel that way. My girl is better at basketball than my boy. If she turns out to be some lesbian athlete (not a stereotype; based on my actual situation), great. I love basketball, and would love to coach her. If my boy turns out to like other boys and wants to wear a dress, then I'll help him pick out a nice prom dress.

Would I be sorrowful about "missing out" on the things that "normal" boys/girls do when they are straight? I guess. But, I'd be looking forward to the other things that they WILL be doing. It's kind of like trading in a car. Do you miss the old car (the comfy seats, the big engine, etc.)? Sure! But, you love things about the new car just as much.

I wouldn't love anyone any less. I wouldn't feel any cumulative loss. And, most importantly, I would support him/her.

In fact, they'd probably be disappointed when they told me by how little of a deal I'd make it. So often, you hear about the "coming out" being some big event in a family. And, not taking anything away from the huge realization that it is for that person, it really is. But, my reaction would be something to the effect of, "Great. I'm so glad you felt comfortable enough to tell us. I love you. Now, let's go out for pizza to celebrate!"

Ultimately, is it worth possibly losing your child? Not even close. Not even in the same ballpark. I'd be FAR more disappointed in my kids if they decided to not go to college than if they became LGBT. As in, light years more!

I just don't get the big deal.

These users thanked the author Professor for the post (total 3):
broken robotWinchesterSpider
Professor
VIP
VIP

Political Leaning: Rockefeller Republican

Postby exploited » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:37 am

*sits back and waits for jimmyz*
exploited
Vice President

Postby eynon81 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:49 am

It's amazing all the artificial bull-shit we put teenagers through considering how fragile their developing brains are:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/29/opini ... .html?_r=0

this poor kid had it exponentially harder considering her being run down by those who were supposed to love her.

rumspringa...we need to embrace this as a society.
eynon81
VIP
VIP

Political Leaning: Very Conservative

Postby The Dharma Bum » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:52 am

seems to me that religious based mental health care is akin to refusing a blood transfusion or modern medical care for religious reasons
The Dharma Bum
Vice President

Political Leaning: Anarcho Communist

Postby eynon81 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:53 am

eynon81
VIP
VIP

Political Leaning: Very Conservative

Postby The Dharma Bum » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:17 am

at least it has the potential to be better, while faith healing doesn't