[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4829: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4831: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4832: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4833: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
Need a new toy-- Samsung Chromebook (3G) • Page 6 • Science/Tech • Political Crossfire Forums

Need a new toy-- Samsung Chromebook (3G)

Re: Need a new toy-- Samsung Chromebook (3G)

Postby Mr.Bill » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:37 pm

It is mostly an Internet Device..

I would call it a back-up type computer.. The Good: It is perfect for surfing the web, checking email, watching youtube videos, etc.. It's great for traveling because it is so light, thin and fast. Everything, including most of the computer settings work though the Chrome Browser. It has 2 years free Google Cloud and 2 free years 100mb per month of 3g.. A good, larger than expected keyboard for a small computer..It has a nice solid feel to it..

The Bad: It is limited.. It's not for the power user.. Other than Google Apps, no software can be installed(.exe files won't install), No MS Office, etc., it will only print through Google Docs(Cloud Print). There are Apps for Spreadsheets, Docs, Word, but it's not MS.. So that might be confusing to some.

For the money, $239 for the Wifi only version. $329 for the Wifi and 3g version that I have it is a very nice machine for traveling, the student, the person who mostly surfs the Net..

For what I want, it's a good deal.
Mr.Bill
VIP
VIP

Postby Spider » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:58 pm

At that price you can't argue. Sounds like a superior alternative to a tablet.
Spider
VIP
VIP

Political Leaning: Anarcho Communist

Postby Mr.Bill » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:17 pm

Mr.Bill
VIP
VIP

Postby Mr.Bill » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:43 am

So over the summer I've dropped this Chromebook 3 times, it never broke.. BUT 2 days ago my niece was using it, closed the lid and left it on the floor next to her. I didn't see it, stepped on it, and my 210 lbs fat ass cracked the screen..

So I'm thinking it's only a year old, but Samsung has come out with new ones, time to look for another Chromebook. I like the Chromebook enough to buy another.. BUT 1st I look for screen replacements, instructions, etc.. I couldn't believe it. Only $50 for a new screen, and according to the instructions I found on youtube it takes maybe 10 mins. to change. I've fixed computer for 30 years, including many laptops. I never seen a screen on any other laptop that's so easy to change. The molding around the screen snaps off, 8 small screws to take out, and one plug.. I'm sure the ease to change wasn't done on purpose by Samsung, BUT it is a pleasant surprise.

These users thanked the author Mr.Bill for the post:
The Dharma Bum
Mr.Bill
VIP
VIP

Postby Winchester » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:24 am

Get outta here. I would have never thought to try and replace a cracked screen, I would have just assumed it was toast and moved on.
Winchester
Governor

Postby Mr.Bill » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:50 am

Mr.Bill
VIP
VIP

Postby The Dharma Bum » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:59 am

I'll have to get one of those. Most of my other stuff is Samsung too and I never have problems with any of it.
The Dharma Bum
Vice President

Postby Mr.Bill » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:07 am

I love it.. When it's in standby I open the lid and it's ready for use in 3-4 secs. It boots immediately, all I have to wait for in those 3-4 secs is for it to connect to my wireless network. Booting it from it being off takes about 12-14 secs.

My wife and niece use it more than they do their own laptops. They open the lid and they're on the net in 3 secs or so, you can't beat that.

That said it is limited. It is mostly an internet computer. Some games, etc. No exe. programs work on it.. But for the Internet, and I took it everywhere we vacationed this past summer and it was great. It's light, small, rugged, no moving parts in it, and this model has 3g..I used it up and down the East Coast with no problems. It's my #1 computer now.
Mr.Bill
VIP
VIP

Postby The Dharma Bum » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:14 am

I have some pre-schoolers who love to play those browser games so that is perfect for what I want it for.
The Dharma Bum
Vice President

Postby Spider » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:19 pm

Spider
VIP
VIP

PreviousNext

Return to Science/Tech