[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4829: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4831: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4832: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4833: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
Need a new toy-- Samsung Chromebook (3G) • Page 3 • Science/Tech • Political Crossfire Forums

Need a new toy-- Samsung Chromebook (3G)

Re: Need a new toy-- Samsung Chromebook (3G)

Postby Mr.Bill » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:46 pm

Mr.Bill
VIP
VIP

Postby eric » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:23 pm

Well there will be times when you just don't feel like using the keyboard. I don't think touchscreen typing is all that bad, it may just suck on the Kindle Fire. Some devices, phones, tablets, etc... are way better than others when it comes to typing.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."
eric
Governor

Postby Spider » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:03 pm

Lack of a keyboard is a dealbreaker for any device that I plan to actually do anything on. I can sit in bed and read or watch netflix on my ipad, and it works great for that...but if I want to actually respond to a PCF post, or deal with work related email, got to get up and grab a non-toy device to get it done without undue irritation.

The X86 version of the Surface will be a thing to seriously consider...if the keyboard is decent. The keyboard is the most important element. I'm right there with you, Bill. Touchcreens just suck.

Honestly, I think these ultraportable laptops are an excellent alternative to any tablet. The Samsung Series 9 is top of the pile, and the Macbook Air is also excellent. The portability of a tablet...without all the limitations of a tablet. If you want ultra ultra portable, take a look at an 11 inch Air.
Spider
VIP
VIP

Political Leaning: Anarcho Communist

Postby Mr.Bill » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:22 pm

And today Acer released a $199 WiFi only Chromebook. 11.6" screen.. And this is a real surprise with any of these Chromebooks..A 320GB hard-drive!!!! It has free Google cloud for 2 years, and this Acer also has a 320g HDD? Wow..

I 'think' if I go either with a tablet, or one of these ultra-light, inexpensive laptops I want 3g capability though.. I have one of those Verizon USB dongles that I've used with my Asus laptop for years.. I can buy data for a day, week, monthly and it works really well. But I think I want the built in 3g, just to make it a little easier.

The more I use my Fire, the more I want a keyboard.. Damn, I just can't get the hang of using the touchscreen to type.

Anyway I'm still leaning towards the Samsung Chromebook 3g.. But the thing is from what I'm reading when Samsung released the Wifi only model in Mid-October it sold out in something like 3 days.. I don't know how many units they had to sell, but SO in 3 days? And the 3g model might even be hotter..

So what I want, and what I will be able to get might be 2 different things.
Mr.Bill
VIP
VIP

Postby eric » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:36 am

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."
eric
Governor

Postby eric » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:37 am

eric
Governor

Postby Mr.Bill » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:44 am

Mr.Bill
VIP
VIP

Postby eric » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:48 am

Yeah it's just way better, and from the sound of it you're going to be doing things either on the cloud or where you don't need a large hard drive, hence having a faster hard drive with no moving parts is definitely a better choice.
eric
Governor

Postby Mr.Bill » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:59 am

Mr.Bill
VIP
VIP

Postby fstarcstar » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:20 am

Dont be a beta tester Bill, just get something tec that is proven to work atm.
fstarcstar
Governor

PreviousNext

Return to Science/Tech