[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4829: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4831: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4832: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4833: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
Surface on Sale • Page 8 • Science/Tech • Political Crossfire Forums

Surface on Sale

Re: Surface on Sale

Postby Spider » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:13 pm

battery life?
Spider
VIP
VIP

Political Leaning: Anarcho Communist

Postby Winchester » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:38 pm

Winchester
Governor

Postby spacemonkey » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:35 pm

Oh, just another gizmo. I thought someone was selling lots on the moon or mars or whatever.
The hardest part of doing nothing is knowing when your done.
spacemonkey
Governor

Postby Spider » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:12 am

Spider
VIP
VIP

Postby Kane » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:52 pm

That game is so fun when it works...

Soooo fun...
Kane
Vice President

Political Leaning: Rockefeller Republican

Postby Winchester » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:01 pm

Pre-Ordered a Surface Pro 2, i5 Haswell processor, 8gig ram and a 256gb ssd drive, this one is going to replace my work desktop. The one I bought last year has replaced my home laptop and home desktop as the 128gb didn't have quite enough HD space to make me comfortable replacing my work desktop.

Looking forward to the few improvements with Windows 8.1. The snap feature (being able to do 1/2 screens) was a major improvement for how I work.
Winchester
Governor

Postby Mr.Bill » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:49 pm

Mr.Bill
VIP
VIP

Postby Winchester » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:18 pm

Winchester
Governor

Postby Spider » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:40 pm

The Pro is soon going to refreshed with the Haswell chips. Perhaps the battery life will greatly improve.
Spider
VIP
VIP

Postby Winchester » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:23 am

Changed my mind and backed out of the Surface Pro 2 purchase. I read a little bit more on the specs, and while I think it would function fine as a desktop replacement I was a little bit worried about the processor clock speed at 1.6ghz, i5-4200u chip (2 core/4 thread, 3MB cache) and I have a couple of critical programs that recommend a 2.4 ghz clock speed, so...

I'm building a new desktop for about $500 less (I already have 10 Win8/Win7 licenses available to me so saving there).

Box is a Shuttle SH67H3 (used this platform to build my dad a computer last year... easy as it already has the motherboard installed and comes with a power supply), it has 4 usb 3.0 ports and 2 internal SATA III plugs as well as usb 2.0 ports and SATA II plugs. Anyway i7-3770 3.4ghz (up to 3.9 w/turbo) clock, 4core/8thread and 8MB cache and am adding a Cruical M500 256gb SSD drive and 8gb ram and will just use the intel HD4000 graphics built into the chip as I'm not doing any gaming or have graphic intensive programs. Anyway the thing ought to scream can add more ram (up to 32gb) if I really need it but I don't see me ever needing that much.

Still would have paid $500 bucks more for the surface pro if it had a little bit more robust processor, but there are trade offs they need between processing power, form factor and battery life.
Winchester
Governor

PreviousNext

Return to Science/Tech