SpaceX Sticks the Landing!

Re: SpaceX Sticks the Landing!

Postby Spider » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:01 am

Video from : youtu.be

With the tanks nearly empty and all the engine mass clear at the bottom, it really shouldn't be top heavy at all. I bet the center of mass is no more than 25 feet above the ground. Even without a leg locked in, it took a lot longer to tip than it should have...you can hear that RCS thruster screaming its head off up top, working against the tipping. Between the RCS (however long that can last after landing) and the bottom-heaviness of the thing...probably take some pretty substantial wind and swells to actually push it over.
Every dark cloud has a silver lining. But lightning kills hundreds of people each year who are trying to find it.
Spider
VIP
VIP

Political Leaning: Anarcho Communist

Postby jimmyz » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:43 pm

Why the barge landing when the land one succeeded?
" I'm old-fashioned. I like two sexes! And another thing. All of a sudden I don't like being married to what is known as a 'new woman.' I want a wife, not a competitor! Competitor! Competitor!" - Spencer Tracy in 'Adam's Rib' (1949)
jimmyz
Governor

Political Leaning: Conservative

Postby Spider » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:24 am

jimmyz wrote:Why the barge landing when the land one succeeded?

Nature of the launch. Depends on the amount of energy involved in getting to whichever orbit, and the amount of fuel needed to actually travel all the way back to the launch site. For example, the launch last year out to L1 (beyond the orbit of the moon) had no chance of a landing. They needed every drop of performance from the launcher to get into deep space. This launch was for a science mission, and used a polar orbit. So, going south-north instead of east- west like from Florida. Which is why it launched from Vandenberg AFB. ..nothing but water under it going south. Also, this was an older rocket, as opposed to the "Full thrust" model they're using currently, with uprated engines and more fuel. In addition to all of this, there was no FAA authorization to land at Vandenberg. Endangered species nesting there, I think.

Not all launches are going to be recoverable from land, due to physics. Some are going to require the drone ships going forward.
Every dark cloud has a silver lining. But lightning kills hundreds of people each year who are trying to find it.
Spider
VIP
VIP

Postby jimmyz » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:40 pm

Spider wrote:
jimmyz wrote:Why the barge landing when the land one succeeded?

Nature of the launch. Depends on the amount of energy involved in getting to whichever orbit, and the amount of fuel needed to actually travel all the way back to the launch site. For example, the launch last year out to L1 (beyond the orbit of the moon) had no chance of a landing. They needed every drop of performance from the launcher to get into deep space. This launch was for a science mission, and used a polar orbit. So, going south-north instead of east- west like from Florida. Which is why it launched from Vandenberg AFB. ..nothing but water under it going south. Also, this was an older rocket, as opposed to the "Full thrust" model they're using currently, with uprated engines and more fuel. In addition to all of this, there was no FAA authorization to land at Vandenberg. Endangered species nesting there, I think.

Not all launches are going to be recoverable from land, due to physics. Some are going to require the drone ships going forward.

Thanks for that.

You may need this link http://www.spacex.com/careers
" I'm old-fashioned. I like two sexes! And another thing. All of a sudden I don't like being married to what is known as a 'new woman.' I want a wife, not a competitor! Competitor! Competitor!" - Spencer Tracy in 'Adam's Rib' (1949)
jimmyz
Governor

Postby Spider » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:32 pm

Damn dude. Back in the clink already. :)
Spider
VIP
VIP

Postby jimmyz » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:51 pm

Spider wrote:Damn dude. Back in the clink already. :)

Nah

Epic troll on Ex and Phil by Uber. I'm back in the club but I'm it's token black. It produced another "FREE JIMMYZ" thread and some hilarity in chat earlier today.
jimmyz
Governor

Postby John Galt » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:28 pm

spaceX blew up on launch pad while getting fuel. musk in typical fashion said it was an "anomoly"

Americans learn only from catastrophe and not from experience. -- Theodore Roosevelt
John Galt
Technical Admin

Political Leaning: Classic Liberal

Postby Spider » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:17 pm

Bad news. Lots of hardware on the pad that is extremely expensive (and not fast) to replace. Going to screw up their entire launch schedule. Boeing might beat them to the ISS with a manned ship after all.
Spider
VIP
VIP

Postby Spider » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:33 pm

Video from : youtu.be

Definitely the second stage. Somehow. Weird.

Almost sabotage-y :-ss
Spider
VIP
VIP

Postby John Galt » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:46 pm

i know it didn't need the emergency escape mechanism, but don't they have that? seems like a perfect way to have saved some cargo
Americans learn only from catastrophe and not from experience. -- Theodore Roosevelt
John Galt
Technical Admin

Political Leaning: Classic Liberal

PreviousNext

Return to Science/Tech