SpaceX Sticks the Landing!

Re: SpaceX Sticks the Landing!

Postby Spider » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:34 pm

Video from : youtu.be

^Doesn't seem far fetched anymore.
Every dark cloud has a silver lining. But lightning kills hundreds of people each year who are trying to find it.

These users thanked the author Spider for the post:
Winchester
Spider
VIP
VIP

Political Leaning: Anarcho Communist

Postby Spider » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:40 pm

Back in the hanger.
Every dark cloud has a silver lining. But lightning kills hundreds of people each year who are trying to find it.

Winchester
Spider
VIP
VIP

Postby eynon81 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:37 am

I went to Cape Kennedy day before Christmas....was one of the coolest thinks I've ever seen, I want to give them a lot more money. Super Science and Mega Engineering looks a lot more like Star Wars than Star Trek.
eynon81
VIP
VIP

Political Leaning: Very Conservative

Postby Winchester » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:02 pm

eynon81 wrote:I went to Cape Kennedy day before Christmas....was one of the coolest thinks I've ever seen, I want to give them a lot more money. Super Science and Mega Engineering looks a lot more like Star Wars than Star Trek.

Of all the places we took the kids, that was one of the coolest. It had a profound effect on my then 7 & 9 yo boys and is one of the reasons they chose the career paths they did. All three of them also learned the lesson of marketing hype on that trip as we went to Disney World which didn't even come close to living up the their expectations.

These users thanked the author Winchester for the post:
eynon81
Winchester
Governor

Postby Spider » Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:49 pm

eynon81 wrote:I went to Cape Kennedy day before Christmas....was one of the coolest thinks I've ever seen, I want to give them a lot more money. Super Science and Mega Engineering looks a lot more like Star Wars than Star Trek.

Never been. Back when the Shuttle was coming up on its last few missions, I kept trying to talk myself into flying down for a launch. But then I figured half the launches get delayed and coin toss says it would be a wasted weekend/airfare/hotel...so I just didn't for some stupid ass reason. Now that these things are both going up and going down, its twice the show for the money. Would've been nice to experience a Shuttle launch though. 7 million lbs of thrust (and SRBs) are supposed to make quite a sound.

I wish there was a box on the taxes I could check to give a percentage to NASA. Or even a just to donate a bit. Its nearly the only government spending that doesn't feel like waste. If every tax payer just pitched in 10 bucks a year, we'd have 3 zip codes on Mars by now.

eynon81
Spider
VIP
VIP

Postby Winchester » Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:56 pm

Spider wrote:

Never been. Back when the Shuttle was coming up on its last few missions, I kept trying to talk myself into flying down for a launch. But then I figured half the launches get delayed and coin toss says it would be a wasted weekend/airfare/hotel...so I just didn't for some stupid ass reason. Now that these things are both going up and going down, its twice the show for the money. Would've been nice to experience a Shuttle launch though. 7 million lbs of thrust (and SRBs) are supposed to make quite a sound.

I wish there was a box on the taxes I could check to give a percentage to NASA. Or even a just to donate a bit. Its nearly the only government spending that doesn't feel like waste. If every tax payer just pitched in 10 bucks a year, we'd have 3 zip codes on Mars by now.

One of my grade school buddies (he was going to PLU at the time) went on a trip to see the 1/28/86 Challenger Launch. :(
Winchester
Governor

Postby Spider » Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:50 pm

Winchester wrote:
Spider wrote:

One of my grade school buddies (he was going to PLU at the time) went on a trip to see the 1/28/86 Challenger Launch. :(

Ouch. :(
Spider
VIP
VIP

Postby eynon81 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:33 pm

Winchester wrote:One of my grade school buddies (he was going to PLU at the time) went on a trip to see the 1/28/86 Challenger Launch. :(

the Challenger and Columbia exhibits hit me right in the feels.
eynon81
VIP
VIP

Political Leaning: Very Conservative

Postby Spider » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:24 pm

More resolution: https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/iqf0ojm4t5typtphmv6w.jpg

Lots of soot from the exhaust. Kerosene fueled. Can see the outline of the landing legs before they deployed. :)
Spider
VIP
VIP

Postby John Galt » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:56 pm

when i was at houston space center this woman from austria i was talking to said that kennedy had cooler stuff, and a lot of the same, including the most amazing thing i've ever seen in person: the saturn V. still, houston has mission control which was awesome.

why do you say that it looks more like star wars? is it ship design? i agree that star trek ship designs are too futuristic looking and too sleek
Americans learn only from catastrophe and not from experience. -- Theodore Roosevelt
John Galt
Technical Admin

Political Leaning: Classic Liberal

PreviousNext

Return to Science/Tech