T-Mobile gives mini cell towers for free

T-Mobile gives mini cell towers for free

Postby uebermann » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:09 pm

They may have some call coverage issues but solutions like will surely help out with that in areas with decent internet.

The cellphone carrier announced Monday that all T-Mobile customers with a "Simple Choice" plan can now receive a free mini cell tower for their home. The 8.5-inch square gadget blasts out T-Mobile's 4G-LTE network to a 3,000-square-foot radius.

T-Mobile has done this kind of thing before. It previously gave out free Wi-Fi routers that allowed customers to make calls and texts over their home Wi-Fi networks.

What T-Mobile announced Monday is different: The mini tower (T-Mobile is calling it a CellSpot), lets customers connect to T-Mobile's cellular network -- not Wi-Fi. That means in places where they received one or no "bars" of service, they'll now get a full, speedy connection.

Other carriers have similar offerings, but they cost hundreds of dollars. T-Mobile is giving them away for free (OK, for a $25 refundable deposit).

"The big difference between us and the carriers is that they'll do absolutely everything they can to bleed you dry," said John Legere, T-Mobile's CEO, in a statement.
"We'll do absolutely everything we can and use every proven technology available to give you the best coverage possible."

http://money.cnn.com/2015/11/02/technol ... index.html

Pretty interesting imo. I know my mom would love such a solution because she has horrible problems with cell phone signal in her house. I normally can't even get 3G myself and that is when sitting next to a window upstairs on the 3rd floor.

The only concern would possibly be bandwidth issues, especially in areas with data caps on the internet. However, assuming the data usage from this is low, I would think this would open up a huge market for T-Mobile in areas with horrible or no coverage to begin with via satellite internet.
uebermann
Site Admin

Political Leaning: Middle of the Road

Re: T-Mobile gives mini cell towers for free

Postby fstarcstar » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:19 pm

I just wonder if it will work as promised. I dont have tmobile but I do think that's cool.
fstarcstar
Governor

Postby Saz » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:54 pm

I don't get it. What's wrong with just using the wifi?
Pun intended for the plebes on here who don't get a joke
Saz
Governor

Political Leaning: Classic Liberal

Postby Spider » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:54 am

This is for people who have such shitty signal that they can't even make calls, I think.

Something more interesting about T-mobile is that they are planning to double data limits...and to allow unlimited streaming plans that include netflix, hulu, sling, HBO, and whatever...and this data doesn't count against your cap.
http://www.engadget.com/2015/11/10/t-mobile-binge-on/

I'll be surprised if this selective thing isn't slapped down under net neutrality. And rightfully.

At least we're finally starting to see some more data being allowed. Its utterly insane what they get away with charging for a few puny gigs. That shit can't last forever.
Every dark cloud has a silver lining. But lightning kills hundreds of people each year who are trying to find it.
Spider
VIP
VIP

Political Leaning: Anarcho Communist

Postby uebermann » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:16 pm

Saz wrote:I don't get it. What's wrong with just using the wifi?

The main purpose is for voice. Lots of people have issues getting calls when inside their homes. This unit covers 3k sq ft so it should cover most people's homes without an issue.

In cases of apartments or such, if my neighbor has a unit in their apartment and I don't have internet, it may end up boosting my signal so I can use internet on my phone via their mini cell tower. And then I can watch any number of video services without using any data (T-mobile's new deal) and have good speeds and not worry about shit dropping.

Lots of practical scenarios where this would be useful at any rate. I imagine restaurants, hotels, any number of businesses would have applications for these as well.
uebermann
Site Admin

Political Leaning: Middle of the Road

Return to Science/Tech