Tesla Autopilot

Re: Tesla Autopilot

Postby Medius » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:17 pm

John Galt wrote:in tesla's car it can be overriden by human input, whether it be braking or moving the steering wheel or turning off the system entirely. in google's concept cars, there are no controls for a human to override.

i think "road hazards" are actually the thing it will be exceptional at, not fail. "stuff on the road" like, a fallen tree, or debris from an accident in front of it, etc... it will have better reaction times and able to "see" everything much better than a human because it's pinging everything around it constantly and able to react swiftly. there are many cars on the market today with this kind of feature, where they react to danger faster than you. they aren't autonomously driving, but if you don't react when you should the car starts braking for you

i agree with spider that ice would be more difficult. you can "just feel" when it's icy and you drive different as a result. like all things that are like that in the human experience, those intuitiony things, it's difficult to code.

You are assuming similar road hazards. What if a crane falls across the road, but higher than sensor level. What if a plane is coming down to make an emergency landing on the highway.

I know they are edge cases, but they are just to be an example of where there might be holes in the tech. If there are holes, there really does need to be an override. If there is an override... the automated system falls down.

And the google cars do have override controls as far as I'm aware.
Medius
Governor

Political Leaning: Middle of the Road

Postby John Galt » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:57 pm

yeah i guess it won't be able to handle alien landings and EMP attacks but i feel like those are not real concerns

google's car has a 360 degree view of 200m to create representation of objects

and google cars might be able to "turn off" but they have no steering control. the original test bed ones did, but now they have cars that are more exactly like "horseless carriages"
Americans learn only from catastrophe and not from experience. -- Theodore Roosevelt
John Galt
Technical Admin

Political Leaning: Classic Liberal

Postby Spider » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:58 pm

Look at it this way. Eventually, one of these self driving cars is going to mow down somebody's pigtailed daughter. Or wipe out a family in a minivan. Its going to happen. And there will be OUTRAGE.

But we have to play a numbers game. How many are going to die at the hands of human drivers as opposed to tireless, inhumanely fast, networked, machines?

Hell, just eliminating the drunk drivers would be enough to justify the whole thing, statistically. There's one third of car deaths, gone. Just like that.
Ernest Shackleton: "Men wanted for hazardous journey, small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful, honor and recognition in case of success."

Onward to Mars
Spider
VIP
VIP

Political Leaning: Anarcho Communist

Postby Medius » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:04 pm

Spider wrote:Look at it this way. Eventually, one of these self driving cars is going to mow down somebody's pigtailed daughter. Or wipe out a family in a minivan. Its going to happen. And there will be OUTRAGE.

But we have to play a numbers game. How many are going to die at the hands of human drivers as opposed to tireless, inhumanely fast, networked, machines?

Hell, just eliminating the drunk drivers would be enough to justify the whole thing, statistically. There's one third of car deaths, gone. Just like that.

Yeah, trouble is if you are dealing with a 1 in 100,000 chance and a 1 in 10,000 chance, it feels the same to people, so they'd rather have the chance to do something rather than have the certainty that they can't.

Chances are already good that I won't have a bad situation, so if I do... do I want it to be one I can't do anything about or one that I can?
Medius
Governor

Postby John Galt » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:05 pm

http://www.national.co.uk/tech-powers-google-car/ here's some info on it

it will even interpret cyclists if they use correct signs
Americans learn only from catastrophe and not from experience. -- Theodore Roosevelt
John Galt
Technical Admin

Postby John Galt » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:05 pm

Medius wrote:
Spider wrote:Look at it this way. Eventually, one of these self driving cars is going to mow down somebody's pigtailed daughter. Or wipe out a family in a minivan. Its going to happen. And there will be OUTRAGE.

Yeah, trouble is if you are dealing with a 1 in 100,000 chance and a 1 in 10,000 chance, it feels the same to people, so they'd rather have the chance to do something rather than have the certainty that they can't.

Chances are already good that I won't have a bad situation, so if I do... do I want it to be one I can't do anything about or one that I can?

well that seems like the same issue with getting on a plane, train, bus, or a car someone else is driving
John Galt
Technical Admin

Postby Medius » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:07 pm

John Galt wrote:yeah i guess it won't be able to handle alien landings and EMP attacks but i feel like those are not real concerns

google's car has a 360 degree view of 200m to create representation of objects

and google cars might be able to "turn off" but they have no steering control. the original test bed ones did, but now they have cars that are more exactly like "horseless carriages"

You realize there are more than 360 degrees on a sphere? I realize they can handle things on the road, my question is things above the road. And it isn't about something likely to happen, it is about something happening that makes people demand an override. I'm really just waxing philosophical on this. Automated cars, to really work, need to be universal. So the question is, will the populace allow such a thing to be universal? I don't think they will.
Medius
Governor

Postby Medius » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:09 pm

John Galt wrote:well that seems like the same issue with getting on a plane, train, bus, or a car someone else is driving

Valid point, but people are more willing to trust other people on this, particularly professional drivers or pilots. On planes, people mostly worry about mechanical failure over the pilots. I think it is because they are there and face the same consequences.
Medius
Governor

Postby John Galt » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:15 pm

they dont need to be universal. to have roads work optimally, where you can basically be speeding far above today's speed limit safely all the time, they would need to be universal. but as a self contained unit and do the job that currently humans do, they dont need to be universal.

i'm not sure how high the lasers scan, but i think it probably would have realized that there was an incoming object into my car that destroyed my windshield a few months back, and made appropriate maneuvers that i failed to make. and that thing, as far as i know, fell from the heavens.

most cars would probably have manual override, but robotaxis probably wouldn't
John Galt
Technical Admin

Postby Saz » Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:50 am

This is awesome and epic. The minute I have my loans paid off or move to a place where I need to drive, I'm buying a tesla. Already see a ton of model s driving around and autopilot is a feature I've been dreaming of for my whole life. Could hop in hammered after a Saturday night out in NYC and be home in suburban VA by morning.
Pun intended for the plebes on here who don't get a joke
Saz
Governor

PreviousNext

Return to Science/Tech