Tesla Autopilot

Tesla Autopilot

Postby Spider » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:51 pm

So, basically, Tesla just went ahead and pulled the trigger on this...just set it loose upon the world, but apparently with very little law setting bounds and establishing liabilities and such. And, mostly, if you don't do something stupid like try to use it in traffic, it seems to work.

Video from : youtu.be

And then there's these guys:

AT 10:03 AM Wednesday, a red Tesla Model S P85D with the license plate “UBER QIK” arrived at a parking garage on East 31st Street in Manhattan. This is noteworthy only because that very car was at the Portofino Hotel in Redondo Beach, California, just two and a half days earlier.

The Model S crossed the country in record time for an EV—and drove itself nearly the entire way.

Carl Reese, Deena Mastracci, and Alex Roy made the coast-to-coast drive in 57 hours and 48 minutes, a time that is still to be verified by an independent third party. The three are veterans of record-setting transcontinental runs: In April, Reese and Mastracci set a record for the least time spent charging an EV while driving across the country. And Roy, a rally driver, set an unofficial “Cannonball Run” record in 2006, driving from New York to LA in just 31 hours and 4 minutes.

Arriving in New York in record time, without being arrested or killed, is a personal victory for the drivers. More than that, though, it highlights how quickly and enthusiastically autonomous technology is likely to be adopted, and how tricky it may be to keep in check once drivers get their first taste of freedom behind the wheel.

Tesla Motors introduced “Autopilot,” which makes recent Model S sedans and all Model X SUVs semi-autonomous, through an over the air software update on October 14. The system, installed in tens of thousands of vehicles, uses radar, cameras, GPS, and ultrasonic sensors to keep the car within its lane, maintain a safe following distance, and change lanes at the command of the human. CEO Elon Musk urged prudence when using Autopilot, saying, “We tell drivers to keep their hands on the wheel just in case, to exercise caution in the beginning.”

Four days later, Reese, Mastracci, and Roy piled into a Model S and took off. They covered 2,994 miles at an average speed of 51.8 mph, a figure that includes the time spent plugged into Supercharger stations along the way. They had autopilot mode engaged 96 percent of the time, Reese says, using it at speeds around 90 mph. It eased the burden on the team, a big deal when you’re in a car for 57 hours straight.

Autopilot caused a few scares, Roy says, largely because the car was moving so quickly. “There were probably three or four moments where we were on autonomous mode at 90 miles an hour, and hands off the wheel,” and the road curved, Roy says. Where a trained driver would aim for the apex—the geometric center of the turn—to maintain speed and control, the car follows the lane lines. “If I hadn’t had my hands there, ready to take over, the car would have gone off the road and killed us.” He’s not annoyed by this, though. “That’s my fault for setting a speed faster than the system’s capable of compensating.”

And some of this is popping up on youtube...which Tesla had to know would happen:

Pretty wild. Right now, Tesla's position seems to be: "The driver is responsible for what the car does. If he engages autopilot and takes his hands off the wheel and crashes...that's on him." ....But is that really going to hold up when people start throwing their lawyers at each other?

http://www.wired.com/2015/10/obviously-drivers-are-already-abusing-teslas-autopilot/
"Freedom is the increased knowledge of that which you can do without." -Thoreau
Spider
VIP
VIP

Political Leaning: Anarcho Communist

Re: Tesla Autopilot

Postby spacemonkey » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:10 pm

I would prefer to drive my own car. Cruise control is enough technowizbangery for me. But who knows what the future holds?
The hardest part of doing nothing is knowing when your done.
spacemonkey
Governor

Postby Spider » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:24 pm

I think automated interstates would be cool. Just picture it...closely spaced traffic screaming along at a constant speed. No traffic jams. No asshole rubbernecking at accidents and dragging everything down to a craw for miles. You just read a book and relax until you get there.

I'm still happy to drive around town and on the back roads.
Spider
VIP
VIP

Postby Medius » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:32 pm

Spider wrote:I think automated interstates would be cool. Just picture it...closely spaced traffic screaming along at a constant speed. No traffic jams. No asshole rubbernecking at accidents and dragging everything down to a craw for miles. You just read a book and relax until you get there.

Until a deer crosses the road and you all die.
Medius
Governor

Political Leaning: Middle of the Road

Postby Spider » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:37 pm

Medius wrote:
Spider wrote:I think automated interstates would be cool. Just picture it...closely spaced traffic screaming along at a constant speed. No traffic jams. No asshole rubbernecking at accidents and dragging everything down to a craw for miles. You just read a book and relax until you get there.

That's pretty much true with human drivers....except they'd slam on the brakes and pile up like dominos...whereas a computer would slow the cars simultaneously, and at the maximum deceleration safely possible. As opposed to swerving and tumbling etc etc.
Spider
VIP
VIP

Postby Medius » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:44 pm

Spider wrote:
Medius wrote:

That's pretty much true with human drivers....except they'd slam on the brakes and pile up like dominos...whereas a computer would slow the cars simultaneously, and at the maximum deceleration safely possible. As opposed to swerving and tumbling etc etc.

For the idiots that tail-gate. Everyone behind me would be fine, because I actually leave room for braking.

That wasn't really the point though, the difficulty with automated driving systems is the unknown. That is what makes me unlikely to trust them.
Medius
Governor

Postby Spider » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:54 pm

That's just it. Idiots tailgate. And then everyone behind them gets to pay the price.

I think we're setting the bar pretty low, asking robots to drive cars. People are exceptionally bad at it.

What makes me nervous is icy weather. That sort of driving is half about seat of the pants stuff.
Spider
VIP
VIP

Postby Medius » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:00 pm

Spider wrote:That's just it. Idiots tailgate. And then everyone behind them gets to pay the price.

I think we're setting the bar pretty low, asking robots to drive cars. People are exceptionally bad at it.

What makes me nervous is icy weather. That sort of driving is half about seat of the pants stuff.

The trouble comes down to this: Can a person override the automated system?

If yes, it is unlikely to work as the great failing of these systems is regular drivers.

If no, I wouldn't use the damn thing, because it is pretty unlikely to handle unexpected scenarios. People falling into or jumping into traffic, stuff falling off of trucks, strange construction zones, road hazards, etc.. etc.. etc..
Medius
Governor

Postby John Galt » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:10 pm

in tesla's car it can be overriden by human input, whether it be braking or moving the steering wheel or turning off the system entirely. in google's concept cars, there are no controls for a human to override.

i think "road hazards" are actually the thing it will be exceptional at, not fail. "stuff on the road" like, a fallen tree, or debris from an accident in front of it, etc... it will have better reaction times and able to "see" everything much better than a human because it's pinging everything around it constantly and able to react swiftly. there are many cars on the market today with this kind of feature, where they react to danger faster than you. they aren't autonomously driving, but if you don't react when you should the car starts braking for you

i agree with spider that ice would be more difficult. you can "just feel" when it's icy and you drive different as a result. like all things that are like that in the human experience, those intuitiony things, it's difficult to code.
John Galt
Technical Admin

Political Leaning: Classic Liberal

Postby Spider » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:14 pm

Medius wrote:
Spider wrote:That's just it. Idiots tailgate. And then everyone behind them gets to pay the price.

The trouble comes down to this: Can a person override the automated system?

If yes, it is unlikely to work as the great failing of these systems is regular drivers.

If no, I wouldn't use the damn thing, because it is pretty unlikely to handle unexpected scenarios. People falling into or jumping into traffic, stuff falling off of trucks, strange construction zones, road hazards, etc.. etc.. etc..

As the tech matures, its going to be able to hand all of that better than people do. We rely on instinct, and are subject to emotion.

A machine could just calculate the maximum traction and direction change capabilities of the vehicle, while simultaneously adjusting the course and speed of the surrounded vehicles to accommodate. With everything networked together, all the cars could start decelerating and maneuvering in concert, at the same instant. With human drivers, they all make decisions individually, inconsistently, and maybe completely irrationally.

Its going to be interesting.
Spider
VIP
VIP

Next

Return to Science/Tech