Steam's Stream gaming

Steam's Stream gaming

Postby uebermann » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:06 am

Has anyone used this at all?

I was pretty damn impressed. I put Mint 17 (32bit) on my old ass Dell Inspiron 9400 and then played around with it just to see. Its hilarious playing L4D2 and Skyrim on a laptop made in 2006. Anyways, the technology seemed to work pretty damn well. My laptop didn't really lag at all that I noticed and it was really like I was playing it on the laptop. Now, I didn't need to do it, but I did just want to try it. I had to hardwire as my wireless router is old and I only have G on it (as well as on the laptop) but with the hardwire it never lagged a bit. Pretty neat technology anyways imo.

Anyone else try playing around with it at all?
uebermann
Site Admin

Political Leaning: Middle of the Road

Re: Steam's Stream gaming

Postby John Galt » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:25 pm

i've been meaning to, but i've been waiting on the controller to come out so i could use it on my tv. it was supposed to be next month but it's been delayed. i'd probably still want a remote mouse and keyboard but controllers can be fun, depending on game
Americans learn only from catastrophe and not from experience. -- Theodore Roosevelt
My life has become a single, ongoing revelation that I haven’t been cynical enough.
John Galt
Technical Admin

Political Leaning: Classic Liberal

Postby Spider » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:30 am

Its pretty sweet. I just got sucked into a few hours of Civ...which worked extremely well. The lag makes it too annoying for action/fps games, but it was a blast running maxed out Skyrim and Bioshock Infinite on the crappy little Macbook Air wherever I happened to be in the house.

They just need to find a way around that last bit of input latency, and it would be golden. Works great for point and click games though as is.
Spider
VIP
VIP

Political Leaning: Anarcho Communist

Postby uebermann » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:54 pm

Yeah I got lag when I was on the wireless at my apt (only G) but when I was wired, I didn't really notice any lag. I was able to play L4D2 without an issue at all. Hopefully I get some time to horse around with it before too long. I also won a pretty nice Dell laptop on Ebay monday for chump change ($700 laptop for $300). I'll probably throw Linux on it first thing then, when I have time, see how well it runs everything on its own that it can and compare it to streaming. The big thing was being able to play Windows only games on Linux.

Could do the WINE route, but honestly why do that if I don't need to, right?
uebermann
Site Admin

Political Leaning: Middle of the Road

Return to Science/Tech