[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4829: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4831: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4832: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4833: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
New Microsoft CEO and what investors are wanting • Page 2 • Science/Tech • Political Crossfire Forums

New Microsoft CEO and what investors are wanting

Re: New Microsoft CEO and what investors are wanting

Postby uebermann » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:40 pm

uebermann
Site Admin

Political Leaning: Middle of the Road

Postby Mr.Bill » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:32 pm

So a neighbor has surgery in a local hospital.. We go to visit him, talk to him, yada, yada.. In between the gabbing I step out in the hallway to check out the nurses.. And in JUST this hall there's 8-10 carts with laptops on them, every laptop has XP..

1 hall, with 10 XP's, 6 floors, 6-8 halls per floor, dozens of offices, labs, nurses stations, etc.. So what? 500-600 or so computers in this ONE hospital all with XP.. I'm sure there are literally millions of XP desktops and laptops still out there in businesses, medical buildings and hospitals.. And XP is going away(kind of) in April..

MS is already talking about end of life for Win 7..So that's probably not an option.. And Win 8 so far isn't very desktop/laptop friendly..

It's going to be interesting.. I'm glad I'm out of the business..
Mr.Bill
VIP
VIP

Postby exploited » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:18 pm

I like the giant buttons.
exploited
Vice President

Postby John Galt » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:23 am

so i watched some video about what microsoft is introducing in 8.1

title bars
close, minimize, maximize buttons

stuff on the home screen now allows
- ctrl-click
- right click context menu

and i'm thinking... WHAT THE f**k DID THEY EVEN PUT OUT BEFORE

god. you start with the desktop and then you try to make it work for tablet not the other way around you jerks
Americans learn only from catastrophe and not from experience. -- Theodore Roosevelt
My life has become a single, ongoing revelation that I haven’t been cynical enough.
John Galt
Technical Admin

Political Leaning: Classic Liberal

Postby Stratego » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:08 am

The problem with Windows 8 is that some gestures do nothing. I don't care what the gesture does, as long as it does something I can figure it out.
Sigmund Freud defined four parts of a psyche; the id, the ego, the superego and the stratego. The Stratego being the highest form of morality and scientific thinking.

If guns are not outlawed, the in-laws will have guns.
Stratego
VIP
VIP

Postby Spider » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:17 pm

Spider
VIP
VIP

Political Leaning: Anarcho Communist

Postby John Galt » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:43 pm

i didn't even realize these things were not part of it. now i'm really glad i never tried it lol. ive got ultramon on all my pcs home and office because i want more buttons on my title bar... and 8 didn't have any? god

wait. you're telling me that you didn't have windowed apps in 8 right now? it's called WINDOWS
Americans learn only from catastrophe and not from experience. -- Theodore Roosevelt
My life has become a single, ongoing revelation that I haven’t been cynical enough.
John Galt
Technical Admin

Postby Spider » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:54 pm

Nope. It went to full screen automatically, like on a tablet. There wasn't a title bar at all, lol. And the escape key couldn't be used to get back out. You also couldn't pin them to the task bar. They've fixed that, too. Just adding these title bars at the top is HUGE, since it allows you to just quickly hit the red X and be free of the godawful app. You can also now right click on those stupid tiles and get a context menu for dealing with them. Right click used to do nothing. Also, desktop apps are now default when you open something from the desktop...instead of getting thrown into an awful full screen metro app.

One of the best things about 7 was just hitting the windows key and literally typing what you want to go to. That whole search function was buried in Win8, and now I guess they've brought in a button for it.

One more update and Win8 will finally be usable. Maybe some time this year.
Spider
VIP
VIP

Political Leaning: Anarcho Communist

Postby gla22 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:05 pm

I have liked all the Windows except for 8. 95-7. I actually really liked Vista.
gla22
Senator

Postby John Galt » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:07 pm

yeah i use the win + type alot. ive got 20 windows open right now...

god. they rolled heads over this right? how awful
John Galt
Technical Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Science/Tech