New Video Games

Re: New Video Games

Postby John Galt » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:17 am

Spider wrote:I'm a fan of just stringing copper, personally. Earlier this summed I trenched about 80 feet for cat6 (in PVC conduit) to connect my shop to the house...as I just didn't want to dick around with directional antennas and repeaters and such. Copper just wins. Wireless is going to get there...but when you need really clean reliable through-rates like for the 4K streaming your talking about...I'm on the fence...but let us know how the wireless solution works out.

damn. you're were my best bet for person here who uses wireless ac... i'm thinking stringing the wire up would probably be best. i'm just worried about getting it down to the first floor. although i probably just need to check it out from the attic if i can run the damn wires. if i want to wire two devices in my living room, would it be best to run two cables, or can i run one and then connect to another router and then to the two devices? (do you know?)

As for the tax-funded games...I'm no more concerned about it than funding any other creative medium. The French government, for example, pays actors extremely well to stay and work in France, rather than absconding to Hollywood. All sorts go government foundations for the arts, etc. And I do view games, at least games of the Witcher's level of quality, as an art form just as much as film. And the Witcher really is loaded with Polish folklore and mythology...its actually been a pretty big cultural export for a country that has had very little of that sort of thing.

well yeah, it's similar to other art things, but i disagree with all of them. but also it is making value judgement about these things and giving money to AAA titles. the funding for the witcher is not a lot relatively, but the same amount could pay for half a year of development on factorio. i think it makes it worse when it's the EU as opposed to the polish government doing it, because there's a cultural disconnect (so the purported cultural value isn't really that important) even between the neighbors of czechs and poles. dont get me wrong, i liked the witcher 1 and 2 and im sure 3 will be awesome whenever i get to it, and i enjoyed a large part of the story (without subtitles it's rough to understand what the f**k is going on though, esp in 2) but i dont think that deserves tax dollars
Americans learn only from catastrophe and not from experience. -- Theodore Roosevelt
John Galt
Technical Admin

Political Leaning: Classic Liberal

Postby Spider » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:43 am

The cheapest (and probably simplest) thing is yeah, just run two wires. If your running one, its no more difficult to run another at the same time. If you only want one wire, you could also get a hub, which will allow you to connect more devices...but at divided bandwidth...or get a switch which will be configurable to route full bandwidth as needed to different devices. It would have more ports...but if your sure you only need two devices to be wired...

Honestly, I'd just run two wires and avoid extra hardware to buy, power, configure, etc etc.
Every dark cloud has a silver lining. But lightning kills hundreds of people each year who are trying to find it.
Spider
VIP
VIP

Political Leaning: Anarcho Communist

Postby John Galt » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:55 am

got a new video card coiming in the mail, which gave me a free copy of assassin creed syndicate which comes out after fallout. ordered steam link and controller, will see how well that works. i decided, for now, just to run a cord out one door, down my stairs and across my living room, if i need it.

this is not even three weeks away

Americans learn only from catastrophe and not from experience. -- Theodore Roosevelt
John Galt
Technical Admin

Postby Spider » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:03 am

That controller....have you ever tried one in person?
Every dark cloud has a silver lining. But lightning kills hundreds of people each year who are trying to find it.
Spider
VIP
VIP

Postby John Galt » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:17 am

Spider wrote:That controller....have you ever tried one in person?

no

i hear it takes some getting used to, as it's a different experience than either typical controllers or a keyboard and mouse.

Video from : youtube.com

i might not even play Fallout 4 or anything like that with it, but there's plenty i could use it for. like telltale games, or pauseable strategy games, or any platformer. i've seen people playing city builders with what seems to be ease. finally, the steam link does have multiple usb ports so i could just hook up a mouse and keyboard if i don't like it that much

it's 50 bucks, which is sadly cheaper than xbox and ps4 controllers. i'll let you know what i think of it
John Galt
Technical Admin

Postby Spider » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:29 am

Cool. I've been eyeballing it for a long time.
Spider
VIP
VIP

Postby John Galt » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:47 am

you can use it without the link too, so just hook it up with the computer directly. sometimes (mainly in platformers) i like having a controller (like, i played Fez with a n64 controller. it's actually really good with that controller btw)

i think having broad strokes with movement by gyros and then have finer movement with the pad will be interesting. i really like how fully customizable it is for everything. steam machines release was pushed back a year because they wanted to get this controller right, which is why you've been eyeballing it for a while. it seems like some people have got theirs... but when i ordered it i preordered it for Nov 10. so i dunno
John Galt
Technical Admin

Previous

Return to Science/Tech