Microsoft buying Nokia

Re: Microsoft buying Nokia

Postby uebermann » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:56 pm

I have to resurrect this thread with this update:

http://money.cnn.com/2014/01/30/technol ... index.html

Oops, guess that whole "Google is following Apple's model" thing kinda just went out the window.

In 1.5-2 years, you can exchange Google with Microsoft and Motorola with Nokia.
uebermann
Site Admin

Political Leaning: Middle of the Road

Postby Mr.Bill » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:51 am

According to this article now Google can concentrate on 'fixing' Android... Really? Too bad the author of the article couldn't tell us what is wrong with Android.. Anyway----

Part of me thinks eventually Google will merge ChromeOS and Android. I never heard anything official, it's just my own opinion. Continued development and maintenance on 2 OS isn't cost effective..
Mr.Bill
VIP
VIP

Postby John Galt » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:18 am

i think the title of the article is wrong. i think he means fix relationships between android and hardware creators

they bought them for the patents anyway
Americans learn only from catastrophe and not from experience. -- Theodore Roosevelt
John Galt
Technical Admin

Political Leaning: Classic Liberal

Postby uebermann » Wed May 25, 2016 5:44 am

I'm totally necroing this thread because I'd like to point out that I was right.

http://www.engadget.com/2016/05/25/micr ... old-nokia/

The company will take a $950 million hit to its finances and fire 1,850 people, including 1,350 former Nokia employees in Finland.

2 posts above:

uebermann wrote:In 1.5-2 years, you can exchange Google with Microsoft and Motorola with Nokia.

Date Jan 30 2014. So it took 4 months longer than I predicted. I'd say that isn't too bad.

Then in my 3rd or 4th post in this thread (too lazy to go back and count)

Nokia was already pretty much Microsoft's hardware company for phones as it was - outright buying them isn't going to change anything at all.

All this is going to do is cause MS to lose more money. Yes, they should cut ties and stop trying to dominate every market in existence and just focus on what they've been good at.

I guess one could argue about tablets but the phones are a lost cause for Microsoft.

I'm a damn prophet!
uebermann
Site Admin

Political Leaning: Middle of the Road

Postby phosphide » Thu May 26, 2016 8:45 pm

(golf clap)
We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection. The mystic chords of memory will yet swell the chorus when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.
- Abraham Lincoln
phosphide
Senator

Political Leaning: Libertarian

Postby fstarcstar » Fri May 27, 2016 4:37 pm

The only reason they are cutting these people is because they could of ran their phone market without ever buying Nokia in the first place. They are using the same division that creates the surface tablets to create new phones rumored to come out next year.

They don't need those people, and looking back on it now it was a dumb decision to buy Nokia.
fstarcstar
Governor

Postby Saz » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:12 am

uebermann wrote:I'm totally necroing this thread because I'd like to point out that I was right.

http://www.engadget.com/2016/05/25/micr ... old-nokia/

The company will take a $950 million hit to its finances and fire 1,850 people, including 1,350 former Nokia employees in Finland.

2 posts above:

uebermann wrote:In 1.5-2 years, you can exchange Google with Microsoft and Motorola with Nokia.

Date Jan 30 2014. So it took 4 months longer than I predicted. I'd say that isn't too bad.

Then in my 3rd or 4th post in this thread (too lazy to go back and count)

Nokia was already pretty much Microsoft's hardware company for phones as it was - outright buying them isn't going to change anything at all.

All this is going to do is cause MS to lose more money. Yes, they should cut ties and stop trying to dominate every market in existence and just focus on what they've been good at.

I guess one could argue about tablets but the phones are a lost cause for Microsoft.

I'm a damn prophet!

Microsoft didn't buy Nokia, this thread could mislead investors. Nokia is still an independent company listed in Finland.
Ceterum autem censeo Dylan esse delendam
Saz
Governor

Political Leaning: Classic Liberal

Previous

Return to Science/Tech