[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4829: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4831: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4832: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4833: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
Ubuntu Edge Phone - Good idea or phail? • Page 3 • Science/Tech • Political Crossfire Forums

Ubuntu Edge Phone - Good idea or phail?

Re: Ubuntu Edge Phone - Good idea or phail?

Postby Professor » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:19 pm

My GS4 battery lasts an entire day. Running 3 e-mail programs with instantaneous send/receive, plus running ~5 programs in the background (WeatherBug, MapQuest, Google Play Music, etc.) most of the day.
Professor
VIP
VIP

Political Leaning: Rockefeller Republican

Postby Charai » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:42 pm

Mine dies after 4-5 hours of use.
Who let these Heaux in my thread?
Charai
Banned
Banned

Political Leaning: Progressive

Postby exploited » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:46 pm

My phone has a crappy battery as well. I have to turn on Eco Mode in order to get 6 hours out of it, and if I'm using data + GPS, and linked up to my car with Bluetooth, I won't even get that. It's annoying as f**k.
exploited
Vice President

Postby John Galt » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:13 pm

yeah i am not going to install eclipse on the thing and it's not going to have high graphics by any means for any type of gaming so it's not doing it for me desktop wise. anything that "normal end users" use it for? you can do the same thing on a phone (e.g., email, doc processing, etc) without the need for a "full desktop". what is the benefits of this "full desktop" that lacks a graphics card and has a low power processor made for phones, over that of any of phone os?
Americans learn only from catastrophe and not from experience. -- Theodore Roosevelt
My life has become a single, ongoing revelation that I haven’t been cynical enough.
John Galt
Technical Admin

Political Leaning: Classic Liberal

Postby eric » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:32 pm

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."
eric
Governor

Postby phosphide » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:55 pm

We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection. The mystic chords of memory will yet swell the chorus when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.
- Abraham Lincoln
phosphide
Senator

Political Leaning: Libertarian

Postby exploited » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:56 pm

exploited
Vice President

Postby phosphide » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:58 pm

We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection. The mystic chords of memory will yet swell the chorus when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.
- Abraham Lincoln
phosphide
Senator

Postby John Galt » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:26 pm

meh

when i look at a ford focus and a look at a bmw, i can see the price difference. i can see why someone would pick the higher end model. when i look at this, sure, it's got some marginal additions in some places, but it doesn't seem to be worth the 32 million in crowdsourcing. why do you need this machine, what niche is it trying to fill? the i don't want to buy a desktop/laptop/netbook AND a phone group? because who are these people. netbook is gonna be cheaper and so will probably comparably specced phones at the time. it's not gonna blow any desktop out of the water, so i'm not interested, but it's not even blowing phones out of the water. that's what it has to do if it wants to be successful if it's being marketed as a "super-phone". i really don't see it

i'm still waiting on the nexus 5 for my update (need 4g, high specs, cheap price)

also: i got my hands on a glass to use sometimes, as i am now going to be making some glassware
Americans learn only from catastrophe and not from experience. -- Theodore Roosevelt
My life has become a single, ongoing revelation that I haven’t been cynical enough.
John Galt
Technical Admin

Political Leaning: Classic Liberal

Postby phosphide » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:28 pm

Specs aside, assuming it does have full desktop OS functionality and dual booting android for those who want a more polished mobile experience, it would absolutely blow every phone out of the water because of it. I mean, what's the point of having a octa-core processor in the galaxy? Does one honestly need that many cores for mobile applications? Absolutely not.
- Abraham Lincoln
phosphide
Senator

PreviousNext

Return to Science/Tech