[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4829: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4831: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4832: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4833: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
OK, so I owe Ubuntu an apology. • Science/Tech • Political Crossfire Forums

OK, so I owe Ubuntu an apology.

OK, so I owe Ubuntu an apology.

Postby Mr.Bill » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:15 pm

I mostly use my laptop, or my Samsung Chromebook(still like that BTW).. But in my mans' toy room I have a desktop.. An old desktop I built 9-10 years ago. It finally died so I ordered a 'newer' motherboard from Ebay, it's about 5 YO.. I didn't need a brand new board, I just check email and the forums with this computer so I didn't need anything with all the bells and whistles.. Anyway $50 got me a new old MB.. I used a lot of the componets from the old computer, I Put it together, loaded Windows, worked like a charm.

So now to Ubuntu.. In the past I bitched and moaned about how sh1tty 11xx and 12xx ran on the old desktop. Well, now on this newer MB 12.10 runs perfectly.. My God, even Unity and Gnome 3 run perfect. I'm mostly using KDE, and even that is going smoothly.. Smooth graphics, goes in and out of suspend with no problems, no crashes, no muss, no fuss. It runs better then Windows.

So Ubuntu it wasn't you, it was my old fart machine that was the problem.

I felt I had to get that off my chest.
Mr.Bill
VIP
VIP

Re: OK, so I owe Ubuntu an apology.

Postby exploited » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:18 pm

It's alright. Ubuntu is a good distro for those who want ease of use with minimal fuss. It isn't my favourite by far, but it does what it's supposed to pretty well.
exploited
Vice President

Postby Mr.Bill » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:20 pm

Linus-wise what is your favorite?
Mr.Bill
VIP
VIP

Postby exploited » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:23 pm

I like Arch Linux, but I only use it when I'm feeling like mucking around with my computer. For day to day stuff, I use Ubuntu.
exploited
Vice President

Postby Mr.Bill » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:33 pm

I never used Arch.. Recently I've used Ubuntu, Mint and Fedora.. Obviously Mint is nothing but Ubuntu. I used Fedora last year when I was PO'ed at Ubuntu.. Fedora worked pretty good.. But it wasn't as user friendly as Ubuntu.
Mr.Bill
VIP
VIP

Postby exploited » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:40 pm

I wasn't a big fan of Mint... Seemed too bloated. I like Fedora, but if you noticed it wasn't user-friendly, you will DEFINITELY notice that in Arch. It is super lightweight, and getting it to look nice requires some work.
exploited
Vice President

Postby jurupa » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:45 pm

You got the full blown Ubuntu to run on a 10 year old pc? I can't image it being blazing fast. But as far as your problems of using Ubuntu go, its quite possible that what ever hardware that your old PC has is now fully supported. Even tho you got a dinosaur of a PC, not all older hardware is always supported in Linux. Would more say today with the popularity of Linux increasing its almost ditching older hardware in order to support the newer stuff.
jurupa
Mayor

Political Leaning: Libertarian

Postby Mr.Bill » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:52 pm

Mr.Bill
VIP
VIP

Postby phosphide » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:02 pm

I always wondered how you ran into so many "bugs" all the time. haha

In all honesty though, I guarantee that 99% of problems with Ubuntu and most machines is graphics cards.
We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection. The mystic chords of memory will yet swell the chorus when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.
- Abraham Lincoln
phosphide
Senator

Postby jurupa » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:04 am

jurupa
Mayor

Return to Science/Tech