[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 130: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4829: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4831: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4832: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4833: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
intel to introduce individual cable channel subscriptions • Page 6 • Science/Tech • Political Crossfire Forums

intel to introduce individual cable channel subscriptions

Re: intel to introduce individual cable channel subscription

Postby John Galt » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:26 am

ya that really sucks. now i'll just have to stream it on the internet without paying anything to content creators and only the hosts of some shitty website that spams ads at me gets any money
Americans learn only from catastrophe and not from experience. -- Theodore Roosevelt
My life has become a single, ongoing revelation that I haven’t been cynical enough.
John Galt
Technical Admin

Political Leaning: Classic Liberal

Postby Mr.Bill » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:01 am

I don't understand the logic behind starting up another TV type service if it's going to be the same old, same old.. Especially if the prices are going to be the same as what people are paying TV now. And remember with this Intel TV service the user will need to also be paying for a very High Speed Internet service. So we're talking another $70-$100 a month, on top what Intel will be charging..

Makes no sense.
Mr.Bill
VIP
VIP

Postby Kane » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:30 am

Give it time. If Intel and google don't do it Netflix will. The writing is already on the wall, it's just a matter of time.
Kane
Vice President

Political Leaning: Rockefeller Republican

Postby Winchester » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:23 pm

These users thanked the author Winchester for the post:
The Dharma Bum
Winchester
Governor

Postby John Galt » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:48 pm

this person claims hbo won't cut ties even though they could make about double per subscriber because of infrastructure http://www.themarysue.com/why-you-cant-pay-for-hbo-go/

ya well, contract with amazon (like netflix does) for hosting stuff and you should be good to go
Americans learn only from catastrophe and not from experience. -- Theodore Roosevelt
My life has become a single, ongoing revelation that I haven’t been cynical enough.
John Galt
Technical Admin

Political Leaning: Classic Liberal

Postby Kane » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:11 pm

House of cards is Netflix shooting across the bow. The CEO truly believes it's the future. I think they're trying this out to convince the players that matter.
Kane
Vice President

Political Leaning: Rockefeller Republican

Postby Mr.Bill » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:06 pm

I want movies and live sports, that's all I'd need.. The other 600 channels I get with DirecTV don't do anything for me.

Seriously I pay a little over $100 for DirecTV, I got their super duper basic channel package, and one of the pay channel packages. So I get about 600-700 channels, something like that. Sports and movies galore..

If Intel, or whoever is going to charge me $100 or so for an a la carte package, or specific package with 100 channels or so then to hell with them. I'll stay with DirecTV and keep the 700 channels, even though I don't need 600 of them.
Mr.Bill
VIP
VIP

Postby Mr.Bill » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:03 am

Mr.Bill
VIP
VIP

Postby Winchester » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:39 am

I don't think it will ever happen either with the exception of a few premium channels like HBO (probably just wishful thinking). Anyway I no longer care about a la carte cable, other than sports it's really already here.

Between netflix, amazon, hulu, and other Roku channels (such as PBS, History Channel, Lifetime etc.) I can watch just about everything I want. With my folks HBOgo login I can watch the rest.
Winchester
Governor

Postby Mr.Bill » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:49 am

Yeah, about 2 months ago I got Roku.. I really like it.. Especially watching movies/TV Series that I didn't watch when they were on TV.. Just got done watching the Veronica Mars series, surprisingly an old fart like me, and even my wife really liked it.. That 1st year was about as good as any TV Series I even saw.. The acting, writing, everything was top notch..

Anyway I don't know if I'll go so far as saying Roku, streaming, etc. has replaced me wanting ala carte programming. Paying 1 monthly fee to DirecTV or whoever IMO for ala carte would be better than being nickled and dimed to death by Amazon, Mgo, etc. to watch newer movies and TV shows.. The Big Bang Theory is like $30-$40 to rent the 1st year? It's a good show, but not worth that much.
Mr.Bill
VIP
VIP

PreviousNext

Return to Science/Tech