Christian Dominionism-The Real Threat to a Secular Republic

Christian Dominionism-The Real Threat to a Secular Republic

Postby Vinnie_Big_Dog » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:58 am

Disclaimer: I strongly disavow the blanket condemnation of any religion what so ever. Religion has the enormous potential to bring out the best in humankind but can also be a catalyst for oppression and violence. Recognizing this dark side to religion, I do in fact condemn those who disrespect the Constitution and our tradition of a secular government free of the undue influence of relgion-that is what this thread is about. Vinnie.

Xenophobes, bigots and conspiracy neurotics are wringing their hands, and lamenting the rise of Islam in our country, which they claim will bring about the implementation of Sharia law.

However, whether out of ignorance or the belief that religious freedom and the first amendment does not apply equally to all religions, they fail to focus on the real threat to secularism.

We are talking about Christian Dominionism,

Very few Christians identify themselves as “Dominionists.” But experts say the New Apostolic Reformation has gained traction among charismatic Christians and Pentecostals under the influence of C. Peter Wagner, a church-growth guru and prolific author. Prominent “apostles” in the NAR include Lou Engle, co-founder of TheCall assemblies and Mike Bickle, director of the International House of Prayer in Kansas City, Mo.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_945601.html

While there is no reason to believe that the few Muslims in our government harbor a desire to usurp secularism, there are appointed and elected Christians in our government right now – or are aspiring to high office-who have openly expressed the belief that the bible is superior to the constitution and cavorting with those who are like minded. Case in point:

David Barton is a chief proponent of what he calls Seven Mountains Dominionism : Seven Mountains theology teaches that conservative Christians are to take control of the seven primary institutions, or “mountains,” that shape and control our culture — (1) Business; (2) Government; (3) Media; (4) Arts and Entertainment; (5) Education; (6) Family; and (7) Religion — and use them to implement biblical standards and spread the Gospel.

It is worth remembering that Barton is not only an influential Republican activist but also runs one of the main super PACs supporting Ted Cruz.

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/post/davi ... -it-to-be/

Barton is also the long time chairman of the Texas Republican Party

But most of all, Barton is vehemently anti-gay, claiming that schools are forcing students to be gay and that the government should regulate gay sex. Recently, he has been telling audiences that the Supreme Court decision legalizing gay marriage will force all student athletes to share the same locker rooms and churches to hire pedophiles to run their nurseries while requiring the military to protect those who engage in bestiality.
http://www.rightwingwatch.org/post/anti ... super-pac/

Here is more:

When David Barton Talks, Conservative Candidates Listen ...http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/05/us/po ... arton.html

Among the possible Republican presidential candidates who seek his advice are Mike Huckabee, Newt Gingrich and Representative Michele Bachmann.

And guess who else is in bed with the Dominionists?

Donald Trump’s Amen Corner: Prosperity Preachers and Dominionists

It’s not really surprising that preachers who tout wealth as a sign of God’s favor would line up with a blustery billionaire like Trump, who says his riches are proof that he’s qualified to fix what’s wrong with the country. What is a bit more surprising is the support Trump is getting from a leading advocate of Seven Mountains dominionism, which teaches that government and other spheres of influence — “mountains” like media, entertainment, business — are meant to be run by the right kind of Christians.

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/post/dona ... inionists/

So, you say that Trump and the others did not seek out this type of support and do not actually believe this drivel ?

Well he seeks them out!

Donald Trump’s Extremist Allies: Who’s Who At The Values Voter Summit 2016

Donald Trump is slated to join conservative activists and a number of GOP elected officials at next weekend’s Values Voter Summit, the annual Washington, D.C., event sponsored by the Family Research Council.
http://www.rightwingwatch.org/post/dona ... mmit-2016/

There is more:

Meet David Lane: The Anti-Gay, Christian-Nation Extremist Of The RNC

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/post/meet-david-lane-the-anti-gay-christian-nation-extremist-of-the-rnc/

Selected Excerpts:

1.29.15: Last night, Rachel Maddow reported that the American Family Association has fired Bryan Fischer as its official spokesman, while letting Fischer keep his radio show on the organization’s radio network. The move apparently came as a result of growing controversy surrounding a trip to Israel for Republican National Committee delegates bankrolled by the AFA.

It didn’t look good for the RNC that the group paying the tab for the trip to Israel has a spokesman and radio host who believes that gay people are modern-day Nazis who are responsible for the Holocaust, demands Jewish conversion to Christianity (and wants to require conversion for Jewish and other non-Christian immigrants), and insists that non-Christians have no First Amendment rights: “Counterfeit religions, alternative religions to Christianity, have no First Amendment right to the free exercise of the religion.”

However, the RNC trip’s chief organizer, David Lane of the American Renewal Project, which has close ties to the AFA, is no less radical than Fischer … but his extreme views haven’t stopped Republicans from embracing Lane.
RNC Chairman Reince Priebus has appeared at Lane’s political gatherings and praised his radical anti-LGBT activism. In fact, potential Republican presidential candidates like Rand Paul, Ted Cruz, Mike Huckabee, Rick Perry and Mike Pence have either appeared at Lane’s events,………..
Bobby Jindal, who has participated in both ventures, even hosted a prayer rally last weekend that was organized by Lane and funded by the AFA.

Urging conservatives to “wage war for the Soul of America and trust the living God to deliver the pagan gods into our hands,” Lane wants conservatives to embrace his exclusionary Christian Nationalist beliefs and abolish the separation of church and state. Lane Called the separation of church and state a “lie” and a “fabricated whopper” used to stop “Christian America – the moral majority – from imposing moral government on pagan public schools, pagan higher learning and pagan media.”
The modern conservative is engaged in one of man’s oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.”
~John Kenneth Galbraith
Vinnie_Big_Dog
Council Member

Political Leaning: Very Liberal

Re: Christian Dominionism-The Real Threat to a Secular Repub

Postby spacemonkey » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:15 pm

Today,who has the fifth century mentality of killing those not in their club, Christians, Islam?
The hardest part of doing nothing is knowing when your done.
spacemonkey
Governor

Postby Vinnie_Big_Dog » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:24 pm

spacemonkey wrote:Today,who has the fifth century mentality of killing those not in their club, Christians, Islam?

:wall: :wall: :wall: If you read through my post with comprehension, you would know that it's not about who has a propensity to kill out of religious beliefs.. Nor is it about which religion is superior to the others. I am not taking a stand on that either. Your mission, if you chose to accept it, is to re-read the post and react to the actual content.
The modern conservative is engaged in one of man’s oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.”
~John Kenneth Galbraith
Vinnie_Big_Dog
Council Member

Postby spacemonkey » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:32 pm

Vinnie_Big_Dog wrote:
spacemonkey wrote:Today,who has the fifth century mentality of killing those not in their club, Christians, Islam?

:wall: :wall: :wall: If you read through my post with comprehension, you would know that it's not about who has a propensity to kill out of religious beliefs.. Nor is it about which religion is superior to the others. I am not taking a stand on that either. Your mission, if you chose to accept it, is to re-read the post and react to the actual content.

I Did, It seems the issue is, does religion fit into a plan at a particular time, and other times not. One example, Manifest Destiny.
The hardest part of doing nothing is knowing when your done.
spacemonkey
Governor

Postby Vinnie_Big_Dog » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:50 pm

spacemonkey wrote:
Vinnie_Big_Dog wrote:

I Did, It seems the issue is, does religion fit into a plan at a particular time, and other times not. One example, Manifest Destiny.

It is never OK for religious beliefs to trump the Constitution and secular law. NEVER. The fact that it has happened does not change that .

You're still not dealing with the issue. WHO is presently attempting to undermine our secular government?? That's OK, I've posted this in other forums as well and pretty much the same thing.
~John Kenneth Galbraith
Vinnie_Big_Dog
Council Member

Postby IndependentProfessor » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:33 pm

So, your basic point is that religious Conservatives are going to try to legislate morality (a version of morality that agrees with their religious beliefs)?

I agree that they will do just that. Can't stand it, either.
IndependentProfessor
Congressman

Political Leaning: Rockefeller Republican

Postby exploited » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:40 pm

I wouldn't call it a "real threat." Monotheism is dying fairly rapidly in the West.
exploited
Vice President

Postby Vinnie_Big_Dog » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:37 pm

IndependentProfessor wrote:So, your basic point is that religious Conservatives are going to try to legislate morality (a version of morality that agrees with their religious beliefs)?

I agree that they will do just that. Can't stand it, either.

If I'm not mistaken, they have been doing it with varying degrees of success for as long as we have been a nation. This however is different. These people want to take over our secular institutions, and not just the government.
~John Kenneth Galbraith
Vinnie_Big_Dog
Council Member

Postby Vinnie_Big_Dog » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:42 pm

exploited wrote:I wouldn't call it a "real threat." Monotheism is dying fairly rapidly in the West.

Maybe and maybe not. We may be coming more secular as a nation but these people are not going away. They seek to impose a tyranny of the minority. I do believe it's is indeed a real threat. It won't happen overnight but if allowed, it will be a creeping theocracy. Just look at these "religious freedom " laws that have been passed as a backlash to same sex marriage, that give people the right to discriminate - in violation of ant-discrimination laws- if they hold, or claim to hold, "deeply felt" religious beliefs. :( :( :(
~John Kenneth Galbraith
Vinnie_Big_Dog
Council Member

Postby exploited » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:37 pm

Vinnie_Big_Dog wrote:
exploited wrote:I wouldn't call it a "real threat." Monotheism is dying fairly rapidly in the West.

Maybe and maybe not. We may be coming more secular as a nation but these people are not going away. They seek to impose a tyranny of the minority. I do believe it's is indeed a real threat. It won't happen overnight but if allowed, it will be a creeping theocracy. Just look at these "religious freedom " laws that have been passed as a backlash to same sex marriage, that give people the right to discriminate - in violation of ant-discrimination laws- if they hold, or claim to hold, "deeply felt" religious beliefs. :( :( :(

To be fair, I've been reading almost the exact same prediction for years and years. I cannot say that I notice any meaningful difference other than a certain few big steps in the right direction (for instance, gay marriage being legal in every US state).

At the end of the day, I just don't view these people as a real threat. It could be because I am not a woman or a homosexual, and that I am simply not aware of the problems, but I strongly suspect a more accurate description of what is going on is "totally normal and to-be-expected reactionary measures in the face of an incomplete yet overwhelming and inevitable defeat." The social conservatives have lost, and utterly failed to convince the overwhelming majority of the younger generations to go along with their agenda. Give it ten or twenty years.
exploited
Vice President

Next

Return to Religion