USSC tells Texas "Not in my house, no no no!"

The place for general political discussion.

USSC tells Texas "Not in my house, no no no!"

Postby uebermann » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:37 am

All Mutombo style

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/14/politics/ ... index.html

Washington (CNN) -- The Supreme Court for now has ordered Texas not to enforce a law that had effectively shut down several clinics that provide abortions. The court's order means those clinics can reopen immediately.

The restrictions had gone into effect in recent days, but a number of abortion rights supporters then asked the justices to intervene on an emergency basis.

The 6-3 order Tuesday from the high court was a setback for the law's backers.

A ruling by a federal appeals court earlier this month gave Texas the green light to move forward on the mandate requiring all abortion clinics in the state be "ambulatory surgical centers," regulated under the same standards as hospitals. Another challenged provision would force doctors performing abortions to first obtain admitting privileges at a nearby hospital.

Abortion rights groups said 13 reproductive health clinics were forced to immediately close after the court ruling, leaving all but eight still operating.

The high court's action would only have temporary effect, until more appeals can be filed on the larger questions of the Texas law's constitutionality. That process may take several months, at least, to resolve at the appeals court level.

The Supreme Court refused to intervene previously when other sections of the Texas law were challenged in court.

Lawmakers in the state's Republican-majority legislature have said the regulations would improve patient care and safety.

Abortion rights groups counter, saying the law is designed to make it nearly impossible to operate an abortion clinic in Texas.

The Center for Reproductive Rights had sued Texas this past spring, on behalf of a coalition of abortion clinics. In August, a federal judge ruled that the "ambulatory surgical centers" requirement was unconstitutional and imposed an injunction. Thursday's appeals court ruling lifted that injunction and allowed the measure to go into effect immediately.

Abortion rights groups cheered the justices' intervention.

"The U.S. Supreme Court gave Texas women a tremendous victory today," said Nancy Northup, president of the Center for Reproductive Rights. "This fight against Texas' sham abortion law is not over. HB2 was designed to gut the constitutional protections of Roe v. Wade and half of the state's clinics remain closed. "

There was no immediate reaction from state officials to the Supreme Court's one-page order, which Justices Antonin Scalia, Clarence Thomas and Samuel Alito opposed.

A spokeswoman for the state attorney general's office, who earlier defended the law, said it was passed after "careful deliberation by the Texas Legislature to craft a law to protect the health and safety of Texas women."

Abortion rights groups counter the mandate will leave women of reproductive age in the state with minimal health care options, and called the appeals court decision "demonstrably wrong."

Clinic supporters said before the bill was enacted, there were 41 facilities in Texas providing abortions.

The law also bans abortions past 20 weeks of pregnancy and tightens usage guidelines for "abortion-inducing drugs" such as RU-486.

Critics contend the law, in addition to eliminating abortion across huge swaths of the state, will further deny access to many women in rural communities and will force women to seek dangerous "back-alley" abortions.

Republican Gov. Rick Perry signed the bill into law last year.

The high court case is Whole Woman's Health v. Lakey (14A365).

This is good. Several states have been knocked down on this now and it continues. The only thing these states are looking to do is find loopholes to ban abortions because they can't fathom the thought of babies being killed. Meanwhile, they turn around and bitch about all of this illegal immigrant kids flooding the country and costing us money. What in the world do they think would happen if we were to ban abortions? Tax payers would be paying for that as well.

Grats to the USSC for stopping such blatantly unconstitutional laws. At some point, you'd think the conservatives would pocket the hypocrisy and work like Colorado has to lower teen/unwanted pregnancy rates but I guess they just love interfere in other peoples' lives too much.
uebermann
Site Admin

Political Leaning: Middle of the Road

Re: USSC tells Texas "Not in my house, no no no!"

Postby Philly » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:39 am

Great news. Everyone hates the SCOTUS but they're still holding it down on some very important issues.
Philly
Governor

Postby Mr.Bill » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:59 am

Republican-majority legislature have said the regulations would improve patient care and safety.

What's so hypocritical about what they were doing by giving 'safety' as the reason they shut down almost all of the clinics in Texas, but then when asked what a woman in Texas should do if she wanted an abortion many Republicans said they should just go to a neighboring state to get an abortion..

Of course the the problem with that answer is the neighboring states facilities are not hospital level safe either.. So I guess safety really wasn't the issue.
Mr.Bill
VIP
VIP

Postby uebermann » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:24 am

Mr.Bill wrote:
Republican-majority legislature have said the regulations would improve patient care and safety.

What's so hypocritical about what they were doing by giving 'safety' as the reason they shut down almost all of the clinics in Texas, but then when asked what a woman in Texas should do if she wanted an abortion many Republicans said they should just go to a neighboring state to get an abortion..

Of course the the problem with that answer is the neighboring states facilities are not hospital level safe either.. So I guess safety really wasn't the issue.

Not to mention I'm pretty sure most of the clinics that were shut down were not just clinics that offered abortions, but other health services as well. Its not very common to have only abortion services offered at these places as they do make money from other health services.

And I'm not opposed to them wanting actual doctors working at these places, but this whole "admitting privileges at local hospitals" issue is a 100% bullshit scam to skirt the law. Especially in conservative states like Texas. If a hospital were to give admitting privileges to these abortion clinic doctors in Texas, they'd probably be picketed to death. Its bad PR in the entire state - minus Austin maybe. The conservatives know that, which is why they push so badly for it. Not to mention the clinics that aren't even remotely close to a hospital, which I remember being an issue in Mississippi as well. It has absolutely nothing to do with their concern for women's health and everything to do with banning abortions to save precious lives. Er well, precious American lives. f**k those illegals.
uebermann
Site Admin

Political Leaning: Middle of the Road

Postby Mr.Bill » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:38 am

I'm no fan of abortion. But what gets me is most of the very same people who are against abortion are for the death penalty and are very pro-military and are for us sending troops all over the world to kill anyone who gets in our way.

So abortion is a sin but other types of killing isn't, I guess.. I don't know anymore.
Mr.Bill
VIP
VIP

Postby Philly » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:43 am

Mr.Bill wrote:I'm no fan of abortion. But what gets me is most of the very same people who are against abortion are for the death penalty and are very pro-military and are for us sending troops all over the world to kill anyone who gets in our way.

So abortion is a sin but other types of killing isn't, I guess.. I don't know anymore.

Meh, sentencing someone to death for committing a crime isn't really the same at all as terminating an unwanted pregnancy. And I'm fine with abortion but I oppose the death penalty.
Philly
Governor

Postby John Galt » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:20 am

Philly2 wrote:
Mr.Bill wrote:I'm no fan of abortion. But what gets me is most of the very same people who are against abortion are for the death penalty and are very pro-military and are for us sending troops all over the world to kill anyone who gets in our way.

Meh, sentencing someone to death for committing a crime isn't really the same at all as terminating an unwanted pregnancy. And I'm fine with abortion but I oppose the death penalty.

yes, they are not the same at all. for example, capital punishment is moral and just
Americans learn only from catastrophe and not from experience. -- Theodore Roosevelt
John Galt
Technical Admin

Political Leaning: Classic Liberal

Postby Philly » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:29 am

John Galt wrote:
Philly2 wrote:

yes, they are not the same at all. for example, capital punishment is moral and just

Abortion is moral and just as well as sound policy. Capital punishment is immoral and unjust, costly and bad policy.
Philly
Governor

Postby John Galt » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:40 am

Philly2 wrote:
John Galt wrote:
Philly2 wrote:

Abortion is moral and just as well as sound policy. Capital punishment is immoral and unjust, costly and bad policy.

abortion is at best amoral at worst immoral. it's possibly sound policy. capital punishment is so important that lack of capital punishment is actually quite immoral because it reduces the value of life of human beings.

breivik went on a hunger strike because he wanted better more adult games to play, and a more modern video game system; his 21 year incarceration for murdering 77 people is quote "torturous". he deserved death 77 times over and he gets play station instead to pass his sentence where the state which had rejected capital punishment has decided that each one of those people's lives was worth 100 days of breivik's freedom
Americans learn only from catastrophe and not from experience. -- Theodore Roosevelt
John Galt
Technical Admin

Political Leaning: Classic Liberal

Postby Philly » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:00 pm

I can't speak to another country's criminal justice system. I can speak to ours, where people are treated as guilty as soon as they are charged and people are routinely convicted wrongfully. While incarcerating an innocent person for any amount of time is a horrible injustice, if we execute them we can't give them any of their life back when they are found to actually be not guilty.

Allowing women to make their own choices about their bodies and reproductive decisions is absolutely moral and just.

These users thanked the author Philly for the post:
eynon81
Philly
Governor

Next

Return to General Discussion