Should someone be allowed to have an armed drone?

Re: Should someone be allowed to have an armed drone?

Postby The Dharma Bum » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:20 am

http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/07/us/faa-drones-over-us/

Basically it means I will have to get a license to fly my planes now. Total bullshit but I guess there will be a lot of traffic up there soon.
The Dharma Bum
Vice President

Political Leaning: Anarcho Communist

Postby The Dharma Bum » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:41 am

http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/12/opinion/s ... le_sidebar

Hmmm I guess a lot of the FAA's roadmap to integrate drones into civilian airspace by 2015 deals with the development of "sense and avoid" technology.

Interestingly this will eventually lead to the emergence of truly autonomous drones, which Prof mentioned earlier.

Things are changing fast. Pretty soon the air will be polluted with drones, but I guess there will be a lot of jobs as drone pilots for the video gamers of the last few generations until fully autonomous robot drones are fully developed..
The Dharma Bum
Vice President

Postby Dylan » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:56 am

Don't pilots now have to have an actual pilot's license? That will change I assume as they proliferate. Curious to see what the tolerance will be for accidents as well
Dylan
Vice President

Political Leaning: Middle of the Road

Postby The Dharma Bum » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:03 am

Don't pilots now have to have an actual pilot's license?

I was referring to radio controlled planes like hobbyists fly, which have to be included with the new regulations. A license isn't currently required for those.

Looks like that is about to change though.

I'm not sure about drone pilots, and what the exact technical difference is that distinguishes radio controlled craft, which take many forms, and a drone. I'm thinking it has to do with drones being able to operate outside line of sight?
The Dharma Bum
Vice President

Postby Dylan » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:40 am

Do I need to get approval from the FAA to fly a model aircraft for recreation?
No. FAA guidance does not address size of the model aircraft. FAA guidance says that model aircraft flights should be kept below 400 feet above ground level (AGL), should be flown a sufficient distance from populated areas and full scale aircraft, and are not for business purposes. 1, 2

http://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives/uas/uas_faq/#Qn2

Some good info there
Dylan
Vice President

Political Leaning: Middle of the Road

Postby The Dharma Bum » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:13 am

As I said the FAA's "roadmap to integrate drones into civilian airspace by 2015" will also regulate RC planes for hobbyists but currently you don't need a license.
The Dharma Bum
Vice President

Postby Professor » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:18 am

The Dharma Bum wrote:Are you in fear for your life when the security guard you hired shoots someone breaking into your property?

Not really.

I don't see that as an issue at all, since it is allowable to use reasonable force to protect your property.

If you warn the intruder to stop with your remote loudspeaker and he refuses it, well then it just became reasonable to use deadly force to stop them.

I'm not, but that guard is. And, he's the one that would be the target of any prosecution.
Professor
VIP
VIP

Political Leaning: Rockefeller Republican

Postby Professor » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:19 am

The Dharma Bum wrote:
Bauce wrote:
The Dharma Bum wrote:Are you in fear for your life when the security guard you hired shoots someone breaking into your property?

Not really.

I don't see that as an issue at all, since it is allowable to use reasonable force to protect your property.

If you warn the intruder to stop with your remote loudspeaker and he refuses it, well then it just became reasonable to use deadly force to stop them.

Just for the sake of carrying out this line of reasoning...

If you hire a security guard to protect your property, that hired guard can be held responsible for his own actions. If you program/remotely control a mechanical device, not so.

And?

It goes without saying that if you are controlling it then you are responsible for it's actions. If your actions are lawful there is nothing to be held "responsible" for.

But, it is not legal to kill someone because they might pose a threat to you in the future - even if that future is only minutes away. That's why "conspiracy to commit murder" and "attempted murder" are separate items.
Professor
VIP
VIP

Postby Professor » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:20 am

The Dharma Bum wrote:There is no need to get "society's approval" for armed drones because armed drones aren't illegal. That's the point that escapes you.

Now, shooting an innocent kid is obviously illegal, but that would be the case whether you used an armed drone or just walked out there and did it with a regular gun. It's silly to even interject that into the conversation.

Murder is an action that is illegal. But that is the case regardless of the nature of the murder weapon.

I think I see your point.

Putting a gun on a drone isn't illegal.

But, using deadly force without being in fear for your life is illegal.
Professor
VIP
VIP

Postby ava10 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:25 am

NAB wrote:
The Dharma Bum wrote:
NAB wrote:
The Dharma Bum wrote:I don't see any problem with having them.

It's just a gun and RC craft, both of which are perfectly legal. The problem is people who desperately crave the illusion of control over others because of their own psychological issues.

I don't see how both being legal would automatically make their combination legal Maryland online dui classes . Driving a car and drinking alcohol are both legal until you combine them.

It seems like a projection of force that goes beyond the 2nd and merely used to protection imho.

you can drink and drive all you want on your own private property

I made no mention of private property, and unless one owned a very large piece of land, the possibility of an armed drone being used beyond one's property seems very easy to achieve. I merely pointed out that combining two legals things does not always equate to a third legal thing. Something about using an armed drone feels wrong to my highly attuned legal mind.

Hi
Yes, you are right driving a car and drinking alcohol are both legal until we combine them.
ava10

PreviousNext

Return to Gun Rights