Should someone be allowed to have an armed drone?

Should someone be allowed to have an armed drone?

Postby fstarcstar » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:05 pm

Just curious. Drones are becoming mainstream amongst the population. I could see a major use of drones in farmers who own a ton of land and need areas to see instead of walking or driving. But, what if someone used a drone for protection? I can use an assault rifle or pistol which can be deadly, but what if I used a drone to protect my home from an intruder?

The technology might be possible soon, what do you think?
fstarcstar
Governor

Re: Should someone be allowed to have an armed drone?

Postby Bauce » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:07 pm

Yes. That someone is the military and they already have plenty.
THE REACTIONARIES
Bauce
Banned
Banned

Postby Medius » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:40 pm

fstarcstar wrote:Just curious. Drones are becoming mainstream amongst the population. I could see a major use of drones in farmers who own a ton of land and need areas to see instead of walking or driving. But, what if someone used a drone for protection? I can use an assault rifle or pistol which can be deadly, but what if I used a drone to protect my home from an intruder?

Most places don't look kindly on shooting people outside your home. I'm not sure that a drone would be practical inside your home. I suppose if you had a little land drone with a pistol and controlled it from inside a safe room, you might be ok? It can't be automated, that's a man-trap.
Medius
Governor

Political Leaning: Middle of the Road

Postby exploited » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:49 pm

Yes. It should be allowed. The Second Amendment clearly protects an Americans right to bear arms.
exploited
Vice President

Postby Spider » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:11 pm

Medius wrote:
fstarcstar wrote:Just curious. Drones are becoming mainstream amongst the population. I could see a major use of drones in farmers who own a ton of land and need areas to see instead of walking or driving. But, what if someone used a drone for protection? I can use an assault rifle or pistol which can be deadly, but what if I used a drone to protect my home from an intruder?

Most places don't look kindly on shooting people outside your home. I'm not sure that a drone would be practical inside your home. I suppose if you had a little land drone with a pistol and controlled it from inside a safe room, you might be ok? It can't be automated, that's a man-trap.

This.

Not sure how practical it would be. I suppose it would be a simple matter for an RC hobbyist to buy one of these big quad copter drones that they are already hanging DSLR cameras with long lenses from, and swap in a gun. Just a matter of proper mounts and servo motors. A 3D printer would let me make a quick job of it.

Every dark cloud has a silver lining. But lightning kills hundreds of people each year who are trying to find it.
Spider
VIP
VIP

Political Leaning: Anarcho Communist

Postby exploited » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:16 pm

Practicality is irrelevant. It isn't practical for me to have many weapons. But that right is guaranteed by the Constitution.
exploited
Vice President

Postby Bauce » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:18 pm

exploited wrote:Practicality is irrelevant. It isn't practical for me to have many weapons. But that right is guaranteed by the Constitution.

True. Did you know that more Americans are killed by poisonous snakes every year than by drones? I bet these guys saying we shouldn't be allowed to have drones don't know that!!!

Maybe they think we should ban poisonous snakes! LOL!!!!!
THE REACTIONARIES
Bauce
Banned
Banned

Postby exploited » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:22 pm

Drones don't kill people. People kill people.
exploited
Vice President

Postby Bauce » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:23 pm

exploited wrote:Drones don't kill people. People kill people.

And poisonous snakes! Or wait actually I think they're venomous.
THE REACTIONARIES

These users thanked the author Bauce for the post:
eynon81
Bauce
Banned
Banned

Postby gla22 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:58 pm

Spider wrote:
Medius wrote:

This.

Not sure how practical it would be. I suppose it would be a simple matter for an RC hobbyist to buy one of these big quad copter drones that they are already hanging DSLR cameras with long lenses from, and swap in a gun. Just a matter of proper mounts and servo motors. A 3D printer would let me make a quick job of it.

Wouldn't be that simple when you have to consider you have to "see" what the drone is seeing, meaning you need to broadcast some sort of video signal over the air. Wifi range is only like 30ft. Not to mention what recoil would do to the flying ability of a drone like that.
gla22
Senator

Next

Return to Gun Rights